Keeping track of grades in Moodle

Keeping track of grades in Moodle

by Roger Bombassei -
Number of replies: 6

I would like to manually enter student grades in Moodle.  Is that possible?

I'm used to Blackboard where there is a page similar to a spreadsheet where I was able to enter student grades.

When I seclect Grades in Moodle, it seems like my only choice to add grades is to import a spreadsheet or text file.  I can't use the automatic grading because my assignments have to be turned in and evaluated.  there is nothing automatic about it.

Anyway, if anyone can tell me a way to manually enter grades within Moodle, it will be very much appreciated.

If I have to use a spreadsheet or text file, if there are some examples online, that would be helpful too.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Roger Bombassei

Re: Keeping track of grades in Moodle

by A. T. Wyatt -
Greetings, Roger!

If you want to be able to enter grades into moodle without an accompanying assignment, you will need to install the GBv2 patch that Anthony Borrow has been maintaining until we transition into the re-designed gradebook for Moodle 1.9.

If you go to the gradebook forum, and look for threads with the term GBv2, you will find a good deal of discussion on this issue.

Another approach for you, especially if you do not want to apply a patch to your codebase, is to simple create assignments for those grades. If you don't want your students to see those assignments, you can always set your gradebook to display hidden assignments and tuck them away in an unused topic somewhere.

There are some work arounds, so please do some investigating and I am sure you will arrive at a solution that is best for your situation!

atw

In reply to A. T. Wyatt

by Roger Bombassei -
Thanks atw.  I have my assignments set up as offline activities.  But I can't figure out how to enter the grade.
In reply to Roger Bombassei

by Petr Kalis -
Hi
If you have created Offline assignment, go to it, and you should find link with "View 0 submitted assingment" on the right side. Click on that and you should see table with all your students in your course. At the end of every line(which means student - it shows user photo, user name etc. you should find clickable word Grade, push that and you should be able to grade student and even write some comment to grade!)
Don't forget to set some grade in Offline assignment settings, without it there should not be any more options to select in grade window.
PK
In reply to Petr Kalis

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Also, you may want to consider using quick grading once you have the list of students - it prevents you from having to pull up each one in the grading screen and should save some time if you are just entering the grades. I have often hid the comment field so that I can just tab through and enter the grades. Peace - Anthony