WIKINDX Bibliography FIlter

WIKINDX Bibliography FIlter

by Mark Grimshaw -
Number of replies: 14
(This updates and tidies up the old discussion at: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=23022. The wiki discussion document may be found at: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Wikindx.)

WIKINDX v3.7 (released 29th July 2007 -- http://wikindx.sourceforge.net) now provides CMS 'hooks' enabling Moodle to include a range of WIKINDX output. This output includes lists of resources selected and ordered by various parameters.

Additionally, WIKINDX may be used to format a block of moodle text (containing the appropriate replacement tags) with either in-text or footnote-style citations and an appended bibliography.

Finally, because the CMS hooks make use of WIKINDX ID numbers, WIKINDX (providing the option has been turned on in the user's Preferences) provides an interface to formulate the Moodle replacement tag for a single WIKINDX resource and to interrogate the WIKINDX database for collection, creator, publisher etc. IDs.

This has been tested in phpWcms and example code for that CMS's replacement tags may be found in WIKINDX's README_CMS.

A basic WIKINDX filter for Moodle was created by Dan Stowell for an earlier version of WIKINDX (see the wiki discussion document above) but this probably needs updating and enhancing for WIKINDX v3.7

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Grimshaw

Re: WIKINDX Bibliography FIlter

by Geoffrey Rowland -
Picture of Plugin developers

Mark et al.,

First, a big thanks for putting the CMS 'hooks' into WIKINDX to facilitate integration of this excellent bibliographic platform with Moodle.

We have started using WIKINDX (3.7.1) alongside Moodle (1.6.x and 1.8.x), and have just discovered these Moodle-WIKINDX integration discussions.

Will be happy to take a look at Dan Stowell's WIKINDX filter with a view to updating for the latest Moodle & WIKINDX versions, though due to teaching commitments can't guarantee rapid progress (may be a good student project?).

However, the original download link to the filter seems dead. Does a more up to date version exist?, or does anyone have a copy of the old version?

In reply to Geoffrey Rowland

by Mark Grimshaw -
Hi Geoffrey,

No, I'm sorry, I don't have a copy of the filter. Is there someway to email Dan or perhaps post a topic in the moodle courses he frequents?

Mark

by Geoffrey Rowland -

As I understand it, Dan is currently ‘otherwise engaged’ with his PhD studies so isn’t around much in the Moodle forums. Perhaps someone else still has a copy sitting in the /filter folder of their Moodle installation?

...anyone?

Geoff

by Geoffrey Rowland -
OK. I have now just managed to navigate around recent changes to the Moodle CVS servers and download the Wikindx Filter from /contrib/plugins/filter/wikindx using TortoiseCVS smile. Will now install and have a play...

by Mark Grimshaw -
Feel free to contact me if you need advice.

Mark

Updated WIKINDX Bibliography FIlter - RFC

by Geoffrey Rowland -

Here is my first attempt to upgrade the Moodle-WIKINDX filter to make full use of the new ‘CMS hooks’ in WIKINDX 3.7, kindly provided by Mark Grimshaw and the rest of the WIKINDX team.

Please use at your own risk, particularly on 'production' servers. That said, the filter does not make any changes to the Moodle database structure, and is working without problem in my hands (Moodle 1.6.x and Moodle 1.8.x with WIKINDX 3.7.1)

The code is based on Dan Stowell’s original, together with John Weare’s phpWCMS code as outlined in the README_CMS file bundled with WIKINDX, edited, as far as possible, to conform with Moodle coding gudelines.

When it’s installed and configured, you can add citations to any Moodle text (Topics, Labels, Text page, HTML block, Forum posting etc) by adding ‘tags’ of the form wikindx:xxx, where xxx is the WIKINDX ID of the reference (this is backwards-compatible with Dan’s original filter).

The filter (through the 'magic' of WIKINDX) replaces wikindx:xxx with a nicely formatted citation e.g. (Dougiamas and Taylor 2003). In most cases, this also acts as a hyperlink back to the full entry in your WIKINDX database.

If required you can also add the ‘tag’ wikindx_full, typically at the end of a block of text containing citations, which will be replaced with a bibliography consisting of a sorted list of full citations in the appropriate style. e.g.

Bibliography

Cole, J., 2005. Using Moodle: Teaching with the Popular Open Source Course Management System. Sebastopol, CA: O'Reilly Media.

Dougiamas, M. Moodle. Available from: http://moodle.org [Accessed 11 September 2007]

Dougiamas, M. & Taylor, P.C., 2003. Moodle: Using Learning Communities to Create an Open Source Course Management System. In: Proceedings of World Conference on Educational Multimedia, Hypermedia and Telecommunications (EDMEDIA), 2003 Honolulu, Hawaii. Chesapeake, VA: AACE 171–178.

The citation/bibliographic style can be chosen, and edited, in WIKINDX. In developing and testing this filter, I have mainly used a variant of the Harvard format that my institution favours. So don’t be too surprised if you experience odd things with other formats! You can further customise the display in Moodle (e.g. use a smaller font size, draw a box around bibliographies etc) through editing Moodle CSS settings (see the bundled readme.txt for more information).

Following the recommendations in the WIKINDX documentation, installation does require the creation of an additional /temp folder with chmod 777 permissions in the Moodle web-root. This provides a location for the temporary text files used for communication between Moodle and WIKINDX. I’m uncertain of the security implications of this, so will be happy for the advice and guidance of any Web-server gurus.

One of the few things I couldn't get to work properly was the WIKINDX query string parameter wikindxLink=1. I may have been doing something daft, but it appeared to create hyperlinks to Moodle rather than Wikindx. For the moment, I have worked around this by splicing in some of Dan Stowell's code for hyperlinking back to WIKINDX. I have commented this in the code, in the hope that someone (Mark?) can suggest a fix.

You can download the Moodle-WIKINDX filter and see it in action here. I'll be happy to add it to the Moodle Modules and Plugins database if it proves useful. Unzip the download bundle and see the accompanying readme.txt file for installation instructions.

Enjoy

Re: Updated WIKINDX Bibliography FIlter - RFC

by Mark Grimshaw -
Hi Geoffrey,

Congratulations on getting it working and thanks for putting the effort in.

I'll have a look at the wikindxLink=1 problem. I'm not sure what's going on but do know that the filter for phpWcms handled this without problems. It may be something to do with relative links and settings in php.ini or moodle config settings.

There shouldn't really be a problem with the temp/ folder doubly so if you unlink that temp file after use as shown with the phpWcms example code. 0777 may be overdoing things a bit. You should be able to make this readable and writeable by your web server user only.

After a quick glance at your filter, I'd probably put this:
if(strpos($text, "wikindx:") === FALSE) {
return $text;
}

higher up in the function for increased efficiency where there are no wikindx tags to be parsed.

Is the speed of rendering OK?

BTW - the readme.txt in the filter download states wikindx 3.1 -- should be v3.7

Mark

by Geoffrey Rowland -

Mark

Thanks for the rapid feedback. As suggested I have moved

if(strpos($text, "wikindx:") === FALSE) {
return $text;
}

to the beginning of the code.

Also, corrected the typos in readme.txt regarding WIKINDX versions and changed details on permissions setting of the temp folder (chmod 700 works for me).

Have updated the MoodleWIKINDX.zip download to reflect these changes.

I have not noticed any impact on the speed of rendering, though I have already got a number of other filters enabled, so the relative effect may be minor.

I also guessed the problem with wikindxLink=1 was to do with relative links, php.ini or moodle config settings and suspect it will be fairly easy to sort out. Just haven't had the time yet with the start of teaching.

Hoping I can now use this to 'set a good example' to my students by using 'correct' referencing in my Moodle courses. Also hoping that they will start to use WIKINDX collaboratively to help develop their group work, research and documentation skills.

As I have used WIKINDX more, I have become increasingly impressed with its capabilities. I particularly like the ability to import (copy & paste) BibTex reference information from a range of sources including Google Scholar, Lead2Amazon and on-line bibliographies such as PubMed (HubMed). The WIKINDXpaste Firefox plug-in makes it even easier! cool

by Mark Grimshaw -
Hi Geoffrey,

Greetings from sunny Wolverhampton!

I hope lots of people start using the filter.

There are, of course, a never-ending list of things to do with wikindx. I'm starting to think of v4 but need to find a large chunk of time to get on with it.

Since you mention Amazon, there is also a wikindx plug-in for importing directly from Amazon.

Mark

by Geoffrey Rowland -

Mark et al.

I have just added this as 'WIKINDX Bibliography Filter' to the Moodle Modules and Plug-ins database. Should hopefully appear soon (pending approval)!

Did have a quick look at the wikindx_importAmazonV1.0 plugin but wasn't quite sure where to install it mixed. Do I just drop the contents of the zip file (the index.php file and the /importAmazon folder) into the /modules folder of the WIKINDX3 installation?

by Mark Grimshaw -
Hi Geoffrey,

Yes, just unzip (with folder structure) into wikindx3/modules/ and I think it automagically appears in the Resource menu (I think) when you log on as a write-enabled user. You should end up with wikindx3/modules/importAmazon/index.php (and other files).

Mark

by Geoffrey Rowland -

Aha! Just had to copy the index.php file into the /importAmazon folder and stick this in wikindx3/modules. Now works like a dream cool

Better stop now before I stray off topic too much.

by Geoffrey Rowland -
A quick, if obvious, tip is to link the RSS-feed from WIKINDX to an RSS-client Block in a Moodle course. This keeps 'users' of the course updated about recent WIKINDX additions/updates and provides a convenient hyperlink from Moodle to WIKINDX.

It would be nice to be able to set up a WIKINDX User Bibliography for a particular Moodle course, and then be able to selectively RSS-feed this into the specific Moodle course. Mark, perhaps something for the WIKINDX 4.0 'wishlist' wink

Also, are there any plans to integrate WIKINDX with other authentication systems? (e.g. LDAP, RADIUS, Shibboleth, OpenID). This would allow Single Sign-On for Moodle, WIKINDX and other systems and encourage institution-wide deployment of WIKINDX.

by Mark Grimshaw -

Hi Geoffrey,

The authentication will have to wait until  find someone familiar with LDAP etc.  It might be possible to add a flag to the CMS querystrings that passes the username and encrypted password to wikindx from moodle.

Re RSS, I think I added some querystrings to the CMS scripts to do just this.  I:m in Japan right now so can:t check but you might find clues in README_CMS.

Mark