Printing Forum Entries

Printing Forum Entries

by Ildiko Brown -
Number of replies: 7
I would like to print out all the forum entries in one single document rather than print each comment individually.  Any suggestions?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ildiko Brown

Re: Printing Forum Entries

by Art Lader -
Hi, Ildiko,

If I understand you correctly, I think you will be able to simply view the forum in the "nested" format and then just print it all out.

Or have I misunderstood what you are trying to do?

Regards,
Art

In reply to Art Lader

by Ildiko Brown -
Thanks, Art - it sounds very easy to do, but where am I given the choice to view the forum in the nested format? I have the forum set up for each student to leave one discussion - could that be why I'm seeing the comments listed by student rather than just the comment thread?

Thanks so much for your help!
~Ildi
In reply to Ildiko Brown

by Lauren Keinath -
Hi Ildi:

If I understand your question correctly, you can view the forum in the nested format by choosing that at the top of the page: click into a specific thread, and then you can choose how to view that thread. I had a screenshot to show you, but I can't figure out how to upload it here!

If you have your forum set so that each student starts a discussion ["Each person posts one discussion" option"] then yes, you will see a list of the topics started by students -- and in order to print each thread, you must click into each one, view by nested, then print.

I don't know of any way to print an entire forum [which contains several threads] all at once. It seems to me you can only do it a thread [discussion topic] at a time.

In reply to Lauren Keinath

by Ildiko Brown -
Thank you, Lauren - I figured out the nested format; unfortunately, I requested that each student post one discussion, so I do indeed have to go to each thread and print one at a time...grrrr....

Everyone has been so helpful - thanks!
In reply to Ildiko Brown

by Elise Springer -

If anyone's still looking at this thread: The lack of ability to print a whole forum is something I'd love to see addressed. For certain assignments, it makes a great deal of sense to use the "each students starts a thread" option, and when thirty students each post in that way, it's not only time-consuming but paper-wasting to have no way to get the forum compressed into a single view. Thanks to anyone willing to take this on!

In reply to Elise Springer

by Ann Adamcik -

We added a patch a while back to allow teachers to export or print an entire forum. See MDL-9469 for 2 different solutions.

In reply to Ann Adamcik

by Kesheng Yu -

Hi Ann,

Does the patch work with Moodle 2.1? Thanks,

Kesheng