How to Choose/Create an External Repository for Moodle

How to Choose/Create an External Repository for Moodle

by Don Hinkelman -
Number of replies: 16
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Over in Moodle for Language Teaching, we are discussing plans for a discipline-specific repository for language teachers--something that would connect to the Respository API. We have some good ideas on the interface and social features, but the problem we have what open source core program to build upon. I have no idea about Door, but it appears not everyone feels happy about it. I took a look at cchost (creative commons) which has good backing but it seems not to have versioning control. The Open University Repository seems to have died on these forums. What direction should we go? Of course, the result will be GPL code that other teacher groups can use and modify.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Don Hinkelman

Re: How to Choose/Create an External Repository for Moodle

by Clive Gould -

Hi Don

We are investigating using the DSpace repository in conjunction with Moodle. It doesn't connect to the repository API in Moodle, but it is possible to use common authentication e.g. LDAP or RADIUS with both the VLE and the repository.

http://www.dspace.org

Good Luck

Clive

In reply to Clive Gould

by Jesús Martín -
Hi
One of the most powerful software is CDS Invenio. (http://cdsware.cern.ch/invenio/features.html)

Here is the largest site: "more than 800,000 bibliographic records, including over 800,000 bibliographic records, including 360,000 fulltext documents
of interest to people working in particle physics and related areas. Covers preprints, articles, books, journals, photographs, and much more."

By the other hand, my favourite is CPS (www.cps.org)

CPS is an open source ECM software that allows the development of enterprise-grade web applications. CPS provides a solid foundation for:

• Web content management
  • Document management
  • Collaboration
  • Workflow / Business process management
  • Portals

They are switching to java , but the original project is in python.

Bye
In reply to Clive Gould

by Don Hinkelman -
Hi Clive,

Thanks for your info on DSpace. We use LDAP, so that is nice to have a common authentication. I notice DSpace using a Java server and Postgres database--a change from PHP and MySQL. Could you tell us more why you are thinking of DSpace? What are its advantages?

Thanks,
Don

by Clive Gould -

Hi Don,

At Bromley College we have been using DSpace as an experimental repository for several years and have found it to be stable, reliable and easy to use. I even find the database table structure fairly intuitive, which is more than I can say for Moodle wink

DSpace has a good development team behind it and is already widely used. According to their Website as of (2007-07-27) there were: 260 installations in 42 countries with 968,297 Documents

Our latest move in using RADIUS authentication with DSpace means that we now have a common login for authentication purposes to both DSpace and Moodle.  By using the RADIUS authentication module within DSpace, staff and students can even be automatically be added to different groups in DSpace, giving them different levels of access to collections. This opens up the use of the repository to a wider audience within the College. We are even hoping to wean staff away from using intranet network drives as document dumps smile

Best wishes

Clive

In reply to Clive Gould

by Susana L. -
Hi Clive and everyone,

In my institution we use DSpace as an institutional repository (papers, thesis etc) and we are considering using it as a learning object repository (LOR) also. For that we are thinking about making some extensions namely in metadata (Dublin Core-LOM mapping) and, of course, LMS integration.

Regarding the Moodle Repository API developments roadmap I can't find any plug-in or facility to DSpace, making me think if DSpace would really be a good option...

I look forward to your considerations and experience!

Cheers,
susana
In reply to Susana L.

by Clive Gould -

Hi Susana

We authenticate both Moodle and DSpace against LDAP via RADIUS.

However, this does mean that once a user has logged into Moodle, they still need to log in separately to DSpace when they wish to access resources in the repository from Web links within Moodle (using the appropriate DSpace handle reference).

This is not as bad as it sounds, as once DSpace authentication has taken place the login is remembered on the browser using cookies, so on subsequent occasions when a user follows a link in Moodle they automatically have access to resources on DSpace (until they log out of DSpace that is).

As I understand it, Moodle and DSpace use such different technologies that a Moodle plug in to facilitate access to DSpace is not possible.

Please let me know how you get on.

Best wishes

Clive

In reply to Clive Gould

by Susana L. -
Hi Clive,

Thank you for sharing your experience.
I was hoping DSpace to appear in the list of plugins to be developed for the first version in Repository_API docs smile... well, it didn't so far...

DSpace does not support jsr170 and I don't see/find any development in that direction (wiki.dspace.org)

Humm..meanwhile we will have to take some decisions.
I will keep you update.

Cheers,
susana

by Mark Burnet -
I would vote for Alfresco Community version. It is very rich in features and workflow.
It has versioning control, is highly scalable and open source.
http://www.alfresco.com/

In reply to Mark Burnet

by Don Hinkelman -
Hi Mark,
Alfresco looks very well developed and targeted toward collaborative writing and approval of organizational documents. Would it work as a public upload/download site of teaching materials and moodle content?
Cheers, Don
In reply to Mark Burnet

by Gregory Herve -
Agree with Mark, Alfresco looks great and is widely supported. More importantly, it uses a Java Content Repository (JCR), which makes its content easy to share and re-use with other applications...

Has anyone integrated a JCR with Moodle successfully?
In reply to Mark Burnet

by Bryan Williams -
All,

Alfresco/Moodle integration is on the way! You can see what we have done here (http://elluminate.remote-learner.net/play_recording.html?recordingId=1191608813033_1191610491119) which includes ability for teacher to make calls to resources stored in Alfresco from within their course. Very soon teacher will be able to store resources in Alfresco directly from within Moodle. Sometime next year student will most likely have access to the repository for file storage and creation of portfolios.
In reply to Bryan Williams

by Brett Graham -

Hi Bryan

Very interested in Moodle/Alfresco integration, however I seem to need a password to use the above link.

In reply to Brett Graham

by Bee Bell -
It requires a password! Cannot get in!
In reply to Bee Bell

by Chad Parmentier -
Password is = letmein

i called Remote Learner and asked them. enjoy
In reply to Bryan Williams

by Geoffrey Rowland -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Bryan

Thanks for the video presentation. Given the general paucity of Alfresco documentation, it was very informative cool

Is the Alfresco-Moodle integration available for the Moodle community to tinker with?

We have our own 'in-house' Moodle (1.6 & 1.9.1) and Alfresco (2.1 and 2.9B) installations and would dearly like to get them talking to each other! Even one way traffic from Alfresco to Moodle, as shown in your video, would be a big step forward.

You may have noticed that Jon Cochran has suggested an alternative Alfresco Moodle tie-in, so it may be productive to consider a combined approach.

In reply to Geoffrey Rowland

by Helen Brady -

Looking at this discussion, has anyone looked at the MrCute (Moodle, Repository, Create, Upload, Tag, Embed) respository system http://www.learningobjectivity.com/mrcute

You can get MrCute 1 at moodle.org, but if you wait until March 2009 you will get MrCute 2, which has extended functionality

Add yourself to the MrCute Moodle site, you can currently try out the 'find'  module, and soon the 'upload materials' module in the Visitor Test Area

As the project is still in the programming phase, the team are keen to get any feedback in the forums to make a product the community would benefit from