Sharing files between courses, not just users

Sharing files between courses, not just users

by Mark Schumann -
Number of replies: 10
After spending some time looking at the various options being developed for sharing files, this option appears to be missing in the future plans of file sharing modules (or perhaps i've missed something).  Wouldn't it be great if we could share files and resources between courses based on enrolments as teachers?  You could use the meta-course functionality to accomplish this.  To make myself clear, imagine this current scenario:

Teacher A and B both teach English, but are using separate courses for each class.  Teacher A uploads a number of resources available from some strange location on the traditional internal network, but Teacher B would like the same resource available to them.  In order to upload this resource themselves, they need to either be a teacher of the other person's course (will then need to download and re-upload to their course), or contact this Teacher A to find where he/she originally found the file on the network.  To me this goes against the flow of sharing files and resources between faculty teachers. 

This is a scenario I would love to see Moodle capable of:

Teacher A and B both teach English, using separate courses, but are both members of a teacher-only course called "English Resources".  Both teachers are able to upload resources to this course, including other teachers in the English faculty.  If Teacher A would like to use a resource, they simply "link to file/web site" using the existing functionality, but are given the option to link to a file in another course that they belong to as teachers.  Teacher B can do the same, as well as the entire English faculty. 

I'm not sure exactly how it would work in the backend, but you could either grant access to students to files specified by teachers in the teacher-only resource course, or copy the files between courses.  Both have advantages and disadvantages, but as yet I haven't seen anyone developing something like this. 

I would be very interested in hearing everyone's thoughts.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Schumann

Re: Sharing files between courses, not just users

by Miguel Reyes -
I am having the same dilema you are in right now, I have teachers (in my case Science) that would like to upload documents to a central location and from there have students gain access to these files, w/o having each teacher upload the documents (besides that makes 2 copies of the same file in your server), twice. I would like to see that option available in future moodle release.

Miguel
In reply to Mark Schumann

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
I use this way,
there is a course with a hidden folder ressource with files all teachers as teachers and access for all students. I call it library. There are open documents for students and hidden documents in the hidden folder from teachers.
The search function of linking files is connected to the hidden folder ressource.
Now every teacher can search in the teachers part of the library and link in a course room to a file in the hidden library.
Is this a solution for you?

Ralf
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

by Mark Schumann -
I suppose that works but it's not ideal.  This is probably the best option now, thanks for the tip.

by Ulf-Wedig v. der Osten -
Dear Ralf,

as a teacher I'm currently trying to put together a central resource area for my department. I would like to implement the solution you mentioned but am new to Moodle. Could you post a detailed description how to realize the resource area? Thank you.

Ulf
In reply to Ulf-Wedig v. der Osten

by Rene Folse -
This is the promise of SCORM. The resource is called a SCORM object and it is put on a SCORM server. Then, anyone with rights to the object can use it as a learning object in a course. I just upgraded my Moodle from 1.6 to 1.8 and am now poking around seeing if SCORM is a reality yet. I know someone made a SCORM module for Moodle that will allow you to "upload" and display a SCORM object. But, this is not what this thread asks to do. Instead of uploading it to one class, it should be put on a server and then many classes can "point" to it. That would solve the problem asked here. The missing link in SCORM is .. where is the server software that holds and distributes the objects to the LMS? If someone can find the server software, problem solved. Publish a SCORM compliant object, put it on a server, give multiple instructors rights, instructors place object into class, case closed. Anyone see a Moodle implementation that does SCORM this way yet?

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Hi Ulf,

my posting is some years old. We've developed now a repository system that cna be used with Moodle. The Moodalis-Repository system is a central place for files and database content. You can search and copy, move or link the document to your course.

More information and a demo (in short time) on http://moodalis.de.

by Sara Bozzini -
Dear Ralf,
I saw Odalis-Moodalis presentation at http://dialoge.net/dok/Moodalis.htm. It seems very very interesting for our purpose, in particular for repository's functionalities!
I'd like to know how moodlais handles SCORM packages (as asked in this thread).
Is it possible to have a demo account for your platform or a trial version to install?
Thanks in advance,

Sara
In reply to Sara Bozzini

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Hi Sara,

at http://moodalis.de we are just preparing an test environment. If you click on the British flag, you can see the English pages.

In the moment we have a small problem with the new file manager and the handling of IMS CP and SCORM zips. But it is not very complicate to solve this.

The repository can identify the content of a scorm package. Thats a question of system configuration. Its possible to make changes in the SCORM module that the SCORM modules are stored at a central place (repository) and the Moodle SCORM player uses it from this place.
An other partner developed an alternative SCORM system. It works outside Moodle but it tracks the SCORM data to the Moodle database. Its possible to call the SCORM unit with a standard web link.
We can combine the repository for searching the SCORM content and use the alternative player instead of the Moodle engine.

ralf

by Helen Brady -

Ralf,

Have you heard of the MrCute repository system? It seems the perfect solution to your question.

At present MrCute is being further developed with extra functionality. You can get MrCute 1 from moodle.org, but MrCute 2 is not going to be available until March 2009.

If you want to offer any feedback on functionality and processes the MrCute 2 system needs to possess then add yourself to the MrCute site (http://www.learningobjectivity.com/mrcute) and look into the 'Visitor Test Area' to try out MrCute, and also offer feedback during this crucial programming phase to help the team modify or improve the module.

by Wes Sykes -

Could you make this a little clearer, I think your saying that you have created a course > Hidden it > and then linked to the course files through other courses.

If this is correct its what I am trying to do but cannot figure it out, can you give me a walk trought tutorial?

Thanks