FTP to course file folders OK?

FTP to course file folders OK?

by Tom Hogan -
Number of replies: 2
Hello,
I know this is not a repository system per se, but the usage is similar. If there is another Using Moodle forum that fits this question better, please tell me! tongueout

I want to use FTP to send files from one server to our Moodle server, completely bypassing Moodle itself.

For example, if I have a course with courseid 2, I can connect to its course files with an FTP client and going to /moodledata/2/.

I have tried to FTP a file to this directory, and it shows up in the course files area of Moodle just fine. If I delete it using my FTP client it disappears from Moodle, too.

Similarly, if I manipulate a file inside of Moodle, the changes will be shown when I connect to the directory with FTP. Everything seems to be working fine.

Basically, my question is this: Have I overlooked some problem with this? Will this bork my database or something? I am still fairly new to Moodle, especially its inner database workings, so I want to make sure this is safe before proceeding.

Thanks in advance.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tom Hogan

Re: FTP to course file folders OK?

by Jeff Forssell -
I would also be interested in knowing if this is ok. Hope somebody that knows will react.
In reply to Jeff Forssell

Re: FTP to course file folders OK?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
If I  understand you correctly, you are asking if it's ok to add courses/files etc straight into Moodle via ftp rather than from within Moodle? The answer is yes, thats' fine, and sometimes if they are big courses or large files it is the only/best way.