Auto Authentication With MS Server 2003 step by step guide?

Auto Authentication With MS Server 2003 step by step guide?

by Richard Dennett -
Number of replies: 3

Hi my name is Rich I work in a school and have been given the task of handling moodle version 1.8, I have successfully installed moodle and its up and running with teachers and users testing it for the rest of this school year, in September we are going to be using with all students 5 different year groups. My new task is to get moodle to auto login from there user name and password they typed in when logging into the domain, we are using windows server 2003, I have read many forums online with many different methods (most of them going over my head), can anyone help by telling me what file modifications I need to do and where etc to make this happen.

Any help would be grate.

Rich.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Richard Dennett

Re: Auto Authentication With MS Server 2003 step by step guide?

by Chris Lamb -

Hi Rich,

I think what you want is something called LDAP - this will allow Moodle to authenticate users to against the domain, so they'll use the same username and password to log on to Moodle as they used to log on to the computer.

There's pretty full instructions here: http://docs.moodle.org/en/LDAP_authentication 

You may need to talk to your school's IT techies for them to set it up on the domain controller, then you should be able to point Moodle at it and authenticate your users.

HTH

Chris

In reply to Richard Dennett

by Miguel Santos -

Rich,

There is a third party plugin for NTLM (NT Lan Manager).  This uses the MS protocol to log folks into Moodle based on thier AD usernames and passwords.

How much do you know about Moodle admining? NTLM is very similar to LDAP authentication, but it allows for the browser to send the user data without sending the user to a log in screen.  See this thread about the settings for LDAP. 

Internet Explorer is compatible with NTLM, to make Firefox compatible you need to edit the configs.  Type about:config into the address bar in FireFox then set the value of network.automatic-ntlm-auth.trusted-uris to the name of the moodle server you want to use ntlm.

Hope that gets you started.

Good luck,
Miguel

In reply to Miguel Santos

by Richard Dennett -

Thanks guys I have now successfully done both methods and will start to use the third party plug-in so they don’t see the log in screen.

Rich