Autumn theme updated

Autumn theme updated

by Patrick Malley -
Number of replies: 47
autumn18.thumbnail.jpgI finally got the chance to update the Autumn theme. I highly recommend anyone using it to update soon. It is built on Moodle 1.8, but should work fine on 1.7 as well. For details, look here. I will update the links in the Moodle theme database now!

Let me know if you find bugs or have any problems.

Enjoy.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Patrick Malley

Re: Autumn theme updated

by Maureen Sheehan -

I love your theme. Can you answer a question for me, please? We have a custom image for our school displayed in the top left corner of our Moodle site. Each time we upgrade, this has to be re-inserted and it is time consuming to  search for the image in the database. Do you know an easy way to keep this as a part of our page or a quick way to find it each time we do an upgrade?

Thanks,
Maureen

In reply to Maureen Sheehan

by Patrick Malley -
Add the custom image to the "pix" directory within the theme folder. Then, change header.html to point to the pix folder instead of the database. When Moodle updates - you're theme will not.

Helpful?

by Chris Bucin -
Hi Patrick,

First of all, thanks for all your hard work. This is the most workable theme I've come across and you've saved me a lot of time by sharing this with the world.

After spending yesterday hacking around with the Theme for 1.7.1 and implementing the modifications to make it work with 1.8, I notice you've changed the way the CSS is handled (it's now 1 file). Is there an easy way for me to integrate all my tweaks from the old format into the new version? I don't fancy starting from scratch again (I timed that right, with a new release the day after smile

Failing that, I only have one problem with the older version and that is an IE specific problem. I am getting a bullet point graphic displaying at the side of my header lable. Is there any way I can get rid of this ? I have attached a screen grab to illustrate.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Chris Bucin
RDI Web Developer
Attachment graphic_for_martin.jpg
In reply to Chris Bucin

by Patrick Malley -
Chris, thanks for the feedback. I'm glad the theme has helped you.

Unfortunately, you will have to make all of the CSS tweaks once again in the new styles_autumn.css file - it's a pain, but will save you time in the end. Imagine how terrible life would have felt around Moodle 2.0 when you had to fix a standalone theme that doesn't change with the upgrades. Hopefully, this single file built on top of the Standard theme will prevent work in the future. That's my hope at least!

The following is causing the bullet:
ul.list, ul.list li, ul li {
list-style-image: url(pix/db3.gif);
padding-top: 3px;
}

My guess is that you're image is placed inside a list for positioning purposes??? Try changing your list structure from

to something like:

Then, use CSS to position .frontpageimg.

Good luck.

This forum post has been removed

The content of this forum post has been removed and can no longer be accessed.
In reply to Deleted user

by Patrick Malley -
Dietmar,

I'm glad you like this theme.

I'm sorry to tell you that your problem cannot be replicated. I have added a label using Firefox for Mac, Firefox for Vista, and Internet Explorer for Vista, and in each instance, my HTML editor looks fine. It may be the version of Firefox you are running? Or, it may be your installation of Moodle.

I will attach a screenshot of Autumn 1.8 label on recent (now) Firefox for Windows Vista.

Good luck.

Attachment Picture_3.jpg

by Bee Bell -
I'm having the same problem as Dietmar.

The HMTL Editor shows the icons out of synch no matter how I configure the HTML editor.

Using both Firefox and Internet Explorer latest versions with Windows XP professional.

Also when as an Administrator I look at the Reports and Statistics the drop down boxes overflow to the right of the page. I have to use use the horizontal scroll to reach the buttons on the right.

The results display filling up at least a 1/3 of the page to the right. It might fit in a wide screen laptop but my users do not have those.

What needs to be changed and where? In the styles.autumn.css????

Patrick your themes is the best ever. What a professional look!

Thanks for making this available. You have the gratitude of many people in South America that are using one of our sites with your theme.
In reply to Bee Bell

by Patrick Malley -
Unfortunately, I cannot help you any more than I could help Dietmar since I cannot reproduce the problem. On every browser that I have (Safari, IE, Firefox, Opera, Omniweb), the problem simply does not exist.

Perhaps you could try changing the language file that you are using to see if that fixes your problem. This was Dietmar's solution.

To fix your overflow issues, you may want to set a max-width on the #page id. For example, search for #page in styles_autumn.css (should be right near the top) and add some value such as the following:

min-width:800px;

between the brackets that come after #page.

Good luck and thank you for your kind words. I am glad that you enjoy the theme.

Edit: You may want to look here.

by Bee Bell -
Thanks Patrick for your kind help.

Following your advise I added min-width:700px to the #page and it work fine for the first page displayed. However when I click in the the second or third page the display goes back to show me the overflowed page.

Is anywhere on the .css that I can fix that?

I will survive with the problem on the HTML editor it is not a big deal, really smile

Once again, thanks. Just let me tell you that I changed the leaves jpg with a picture of Machu Picchu and it looks absolutely great!
In reply to Bee Bell

by Patrick Malley -
You can make min-width anything you like. It does not have to be 700px.

by Bee Bell -
What seems to be working is:
#page {
background-color: #fff;
margin: 30px;
padding: 8px;
div {width: 50%; max-width: 800px; min-width: 400px;}

This works with IE also

by Bee Bell -
Patrick, another question about the theme.

A teacher is saying that she does not like the brown highlight for the current topic.

Under Courses in the css I found:

#course-view .weekscss .section,
#course-view .section td {
border-color:#DDDDDD;
}

Where can I change the color of the sides of the highlighted current topic?

Thanks,

In reply to Bee Bell

by Bee Bell -
Patrick, never mind. I'm sorry.

I found the place to change the highlight of the current topic

#course-view .weekscss .current,
#course-view .current td.side {
background: #74A552;
}

The reacher likes it. I also was able to change the brown footer of the front page.
In reply to Bee Bell

by Steve Hyndman -

Yes, Excellent theme. My wife asked me to change her 1.6 teaching site to this theme and she loves it.

http://www.ekuprofessor.net

Thanks for an excellent theme.

Steve

In reply to Steve Hyndman

by Patrick Malley -
Thank you, Steve. For the feedback and for the link. It is always nice to see new ways of handling the header image in variable width themes.

by Steve Hyndman -

Thanks...the "extra wide" header image is probably not the best way to handle this, but it seems to work okay. I assume it would probably be best to set a maximum width of the page and then set the image to that width, but it seemed simpler (quicker) to just create a 1500px wide banner.

Steve

by Chris Bucin -
Hello again Patrick,

First of all, thanks for you reply regarding the changes between versions. I've made quite a bit of progress in moving from the old to the new version of the theme. but I'm still having a few problems.

For some reason, on the main login page, the username lable appears above the input box. I thought this was due to my changes, but I've gone back to the original version of them theme and I'm still having the same problem in both IE7 and Firefox 2.0.0.4. Other peoples implementation of your theme don't appear to be having the same problem. However, they are using the open registration style login, and I am not (we don't want users to be able to create their own accounts as we are going to develop a system to take their signup data from our CRM system.)

I've attached a screen grab of the problem area.

Any help or guidance you can offer, is greatly appreaciated.

Many thanks,

Chris Bucin
Attachment login.gif
In reply to Chris Bucin

by Patrick Malley -
Chris, can I have the web address of your install so that I can see what is causing the anomaly? Feel free to send me a personal message if you're not comfortable posting it yet/ever.

by Chris Bucin -
Hi Patrick,

No problems with sending you a link. Unfortunatly at the moment I don't have the theme on a live server, so I'm still debugging it locally. I'll get our IT guy to give me access to the server so I can let you take a look.

Once I'm up and running and I'll send you a PM.

Thanks a lot for the support.

Chris
In reply to Chris Bucin

by Loris M -

I am also having a problem with the username label sitting higher then the input box.

also

I have an issue with using "compose a text page" or "compose a web page" when adding a resource.. i create the resource with no problems then when i goto view it, the style changes.. the grey background is missing and the page is no longer centered.. it seems like the white part(the middle bit) gets stretched, basically it looks like a standard moodle theme. 

Attachment error1.JPG
In reply to Loris M

by Patrick Malley -
That's my fault - I guess I never noticed. The helplink class is being floated left, which isn't leaving enough room for the "Username" label on the login screen. This is a bug.

To fix add:

.loginpanel .helplink {
float:none;
}

to the very end of styles_autumn.css.

And, I have answered your second question here. In the future, please don't post questions in both forums. I am generally quick to reply regardless of where you post.

by Gautam Saha -
Hi patrick,
Here is something that I noticed when viewing Reports/Logs page on updated autumn theme.
Attached is the screenshot.
basically seems like the log display is stretched way beyond the page width.

Attachment Background.jpg
In reply to Gautam Saha

by Patrick Malley -
Have you seen this post? Might be of help.
The above linked fix was included in the upgraded Autumn theme for 1.8. My recommendation would be to get rid of the admin block you have on that page. That will give you more room down to 600px window width.

If I come across a CSS fix, I'll include it in the next version.

Good luck.

by Gautam Saha -
I belive that I have the upgraded autumn theme for 1.8
What is strange that the distortion of the report/log display page only happens if there is a large number of logs for that day.
Here is a screen shot of the logs for today.
There is no problem with todays display. Strange isnt it?

Attachment report_log.png
In reply to Gautam Saha

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
In your report dated 7th July, it looks as if there is something in one of the lines of the Information column which makes that column much wider than it should be. Unfortunately, this is not visible on your screen shot, it must be somewhere down the bottom.
Joseph
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Gautam Saha -
Joseph you are right.
Patrick....thngs are just fine the way it is.

What happens is if the admin or teacher uploads files to a directory in moodle, then the report log lists the activity as upload file xxx/xxx/xxxx/xxxxx the whole director path is shown. This path can be long and this creates the display problem.
But I can live it with...no sweat smile
Thanks again.
In reply to Gautam Saha

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Yes, I remember noticing this problem myself some time ago. Really, the whole path should not be shown in this case, only the right part, starting with from the moodle/ folder.
Maybe someone should post a bug report (ask for a feature) in the tracker.
Joseph
In reply to Gautam Saha

Re: Autumn theme--gradebook exceeds width; any solution?

by A. T. Wyatt -
I have a similar problem reported by an instructor. Large gradebooks exceed the fixed width. There probably isn't any answer to this unless the teacher changes the preferences or hides some things, but I post in hopes that we might someday see a fluid version of autumn! (something like Julian did with imagine--fixed width front page, fluid course page).

Thanks,
atw
Attachment gradebook_breaks_autumn.jpg
In reply to A. T. Wyatt

Re: Autumn theme--gradebook exceeds width; any solution?

by Patrick Malley -
I'm unsure how this would happen. Autumn is not a fixed width theme. That's part of it's beauty! It's a fluid width theme with a 30px left and right margin. Perhaps you're using the first run of Autumn (1.7)?

Visit the Autumn demo to see an example of what I mean. You can drag the window to many sizes without producing the break you show.

Can you give me browser/version info?

Autumn theme on Frontpage - open vs. closed courses

by Clark Moodler -
Hey Patrick,

We are using Autumn as our primary theme - but I just noticed something that I wish were a feature.

If I another theme, such as wood - I can see whether courses are open or closed to students because of the color of the course name font:
color-wood.jpg

But in autumn, I can't see any difference or it is very slight.
colorsame-autumn.jpg

I would love to be able to have users see the difference between open and closed courses on the frontpage. How can this be done?

Thanks,
Clark

In reply to Clark Moodler

Re: Autumn theme on Frontpage - open vs. closed courses

by Patrick Malley -
That would be a bug. In the coming weeks, I will be updating Autumn. I will add this to my list of todos.

Re: Autumn theme on Frontpage - open vs. closed courses

by Clark Moodler -
Cool, thanks. If you by chance see a quick fix for that one item, I'd love to plug it in and test it out - could paste it in here.

Cheers,
clark

In reply to Gautam Saha

by Liliana Iturribarria -
i solved this pasting some standard code into the styles-autumn.css i dont know which part but that works 4 me lol
In reply to Liliana Iturribarria

by Nichole Bryant -
Will this theme work with 1.97? I've had some problems and I was really hoping to use it.

Thanks!
In reply to Nichole Bryant

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
It works OK for me, I've used it on a number of versions of Moodle. I think it is one of the nicest looking Moodle Themes.

If it needs tweaking I don't think it would be difficult to do. You will find lots of willing people here to help you fix the theme if it doesn't behave as it should.

regards

Mary

by Marty Gilbert -
Picture of Core developers
Love the theme, Patrick!

I'm using on a 1.8.2+ server, and everything looks wonderful in IE7 (yuck) and Firefox.

Unfortunately, the labs in my school are running IE6. The color of the breadcrumbs (minus the current page) are a dark red color, virtually un-readable against the brown background.

Have you experienced this? I'll try to post a screen shot tomorrow, if it will help any.

Thanks!

--Marty
In reply to Marty Gilbert

by Marty Gilbert -
Here's a screen shot of the far right link "Moodle" being virtually unreadable.

I'm not that good with CSS -- php, yes, CSS no smile

Any help, if it's possible, would be appreciated!

Attachment moodle_cropped.jpg

by Patrick Malley -
This is a bug. Thanks for finding it. IE6 needs a little more information than I provided. To fix:
  1. Open styles_autumn.css
  2. Search for (line 156-158):
    .breadcrumb li a {
    color: #ffffff;
    }
  3. Change it to:
    .breadcrumb li a:link,
    .breadcrumb li a:visited {
    color: #ffffff;
    }
  4. Save

by Marty Gilbert -
Thanks Patrick!

I finally tracked down that same culprit right before you posted!

I also changed the style sheet it to add:

.headermenu a:visited {
color: #9f9030;
}

to fix the same sort of problem in the header menu, again, IE6 specific.

Thanks again for the theme, and the fix!

--Marty

by Patrick Malley -
Thanks Marty - I have updated my files with the above fix as well. Very helpful.

by Clark Moodler -
Hello,

Very much enjoying the autumn theme smile - I was attempting to edit it a bit, change some colors to match our school colors, hadn't really done anything yet, but then suddenly when I hit "turn editing on" - now everything disappears except the Header. ---but only on the Front Page!

I've seen a bunch of posts about this phenomenon, but wondering if there's a definitive answer of what to do - or if you have any autumn-specific knowledge that might help? I've tried downloading the new version and overwriting, switching to other themes and back...

Thanks,
Clark

In reply to Clark Moodler

by Patrick Malley -
You should probably refer to the other posts about this issue because I have no experience with it. With that said, I have no "Autumn-specific" knowledge to impart.

Autumn is a lightweight theme built on top of the Standard theme. No tricks, really.

Good luck.

by Liliana Iturribarria -
Hey I changed this theme and everything works fine except that icons do not appear in the modules. I have true in custompix and the pix folder where I have all these icons, i checked but still does not work. heeelpp!!! i take a screenshot to show you the problem...

capturab.png