Moodle 1.8 statistics still broken

Moodle 1.8 statistics still broken

by Brian Jones -
Number of replies: 1
A bug has been filed, but to no avail, and that was for 1.6.2-1.7. I've just upgraded one of our test sites to 1.8. and statistics in Moodle are still broken.
Here's the initial thread http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=63474

The option for faculty should be to remove ungraded assignments from the population, because counting them as 0's, for the purpose of statistics generation, cannot be useful.

This condition means that if there are four students, and one hasn't turned in an assignment yet, but the other three have all scored between, say, 85 and 100, the standard deviation will be somewhere in the neighborhood of... FORTY!! It should be somewhere between 3-5.

Currently, the problem is not helped in 1.8 by excluding the user from grading, because doing so and then going back to view grades again just replaces that user's "-" grade with an actual "0", and the statistics calculations are the same as they were before.

My faculty are dealing with several sections where there are over 150 students, and they'd like to be able to, on-the-fly, see how that population of people who have handed the assignments in are doing. If this is possible in Moodle 1.8, please do let me know how. If it isn't please consider this a feature request for 1.9.

If there's a gradebook module that works properly in this regard, please also let me know that, as after 3 semesters with the current problems completely unaddressed, my faculty would sooner move to central campus's blackboard installation than be unable to complete this simple task.

In reply to Brian Jones

Re: Moodle 1.8 statistics still broken

by Thomas Eibel -
I face the same problem ... but in Excel Export.
I guess, the difficulty is to distinguish different gradings, which are not only a grade or a number, respectively, but a kind of "state".
I use the following states:
* Graded = a number out of a maximum is assigned per task
counted everywhere, works perfect
* Not yet graded = no value
not calculated/counted in the grading statistics
counted in statistics to an own sum (20 students not graded out of 76 students)
grade counted as 0 in the personal gradebooks sum of earned points
maximum counted in the personal gradebooks sum of maximum reachable points
* Not to grade = no value
not calculated/counted in the grading statistics
counted in statistics to an own sum (grading not applicable for 2 students out of 76 students)
grade not counted in the personal gradebooks sum of earned points
maximum not counted in the personal gradebooks sum of maximum reachable points
In Excel I can not distinguish between
Graded to 0 or not yet graded or no grading applicable

In our environment it is common, that students differ in the number of assignements they have. To keep the overview, it would be helpfull to have (beneath the percentage) the maximum number of reachable points shown per student - not only one maximum for all.
Say StudentA has 70 out of 120, StudentB has got 65 out of 90, ...

Will this issue be adressed in moodle 1.8 or later?