urgent possible bug: gradebook may be using bad math to calculate letter grades?

urgent possible bug: gradebook may be using bad math to calculate letter grades?

by Brian Jones -
Number of replies: 2
Ok, so I have several large courses using Moodle now, and a group used Moodle to assign letter grades. However, it would seem that there's some bug in how those grades get calculated, and I really don't know the gradebook code very well, and I *REALLY* need to fix this, like, immediately. I hope someone can help.

To see the problem, I had to view a class's 'grades' page, and I had to sort by the "Total Weighted" column. What I noticed when I sorted by that column is that the "Letter Grade" column doesn't seem to correspond to the "Weighted Total" column. For example, if you sort by "Weighted Total" from highest to lowest, then certainly the "Letter Grade" column should also wind up being sorted from highest letter grade to lowest as well. This isn't happening.

I have students with an 87.14% weighted total assigned "A-", while students with an 89.04% weighted total are given a "B+". This is clearly not right, but I'm not sure exactly where to look in the code for the issue. Can someone help?
In reply to Brian Jones

Re: urgent possible bug: gradebook may be using bad math to calculate letter grades?

by Michael Penney -
What are your settings on the Set Preferences page?

What version of Moodle are you using?
In reply to Brian Jones

Re: urgent possible bug: gradebook may be using bad math to calculate letter grades?

by Jeff Graham -
Hi Brian,

You probably need to change your "Letter Grade" preference to "Use Weighted" rather than "Use Percent".

It sounds like it is probably calculating the letter grade using percent rather than the weighted.

hope that helps,
Jeff