Upload users password vs. authentication

Upload users password vs. authentication

by JD Hall -
Number of replies: 3
I have MS AD LDAP authentication working; Moodle 1.8; Server 2003; IIS 6.0

Here's my problem:

I'd like to bulk upload all our users (instructors and students) to initially create their accounts, but then allow them to login using their AD accounts.

I tested this by creating a user using the flat file. But if I give them a password they can't log in the first time with their AD account. If I choose ‘Create Password if needed’, they get no password and still can’t use their AD password.

Am I thinking through this the wrong way?

A smaller problem: it’s odd that the Country field is a required profile field, but I can’t set it with LDAP (UNITED STATES != United States of America) or with the upload file (even with ‘United States of America’).

Thanks in advance for any help - JD
Average of ratings: -
In reply to JD Hall

Re: Upload users password vs. authentication

by Chris Lamb -

For any particular account you have to choose one method or the other.  We have a mix on ours - students authenticate against LDAP, but staff (because they're on a different domain and so can't be validated against LDAP) are created manually.  The staff accounts then never validate against LDAP, which is as it should be because in our case that's the reason I create them manually in the first place - if it tried to validate them against LDAP it would cause me a problem.

If you want students to validate against LDAP you can't upload them manually, it has to be LDAP right from the start.

HTH

Chris

In reply to Chris Lamb

by JD Hall -
Thanks for the reply.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the process.

Using the flat file enrolement:
add, student, 5, CF101
add, teacher, 6, CF101

How do I get the idnumber(user) if the user hasn't logged in yet?
In reply to JD Hall

by JD Hall -
SOLVED: Someone pointed me to:
<moodle dir>/auth/ldap/auth_ldap_sync_users.php

Moving on . . .