New role - inherit from what??

New role - inherit from what??

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 2
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Finally getting around to playing with roles!

If I create a new role, everything is set to inherit. Fair enough, but inherit from what? Either I'm being really stupid or this is an important omission that this isn't absolutely explicit.

If I want to, say, create a new role based on a tutor, how do I do that? It doesn't seem obvious.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: New role - inherit from what??

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Howard,

Yes, the word "Inherit" is rather confusing and has been replaced by "Not set" in Moodle 1.8 onwards.

I've tried to answer the question "Where are permissions inherited from?" in docs.moodle.org/en/Roles_FAQ though I'd appreciate some help in making the explanation clearer. wink

Another difference between 1.7 and 1.8 is the "Duplicate role" button in 1.8 which makes creating new roles based on predefined roles much quicker.
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: New role - inherit from what??

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I'm not sure that "not set" is any clearer. It all rather relies on one having a decent overview on roles. I think the revelation for me was realising how a user can be in more than one role - which explains a lot of the design decisions but it leaves it worryingly arcane for the casual user.

I'll take a look at your documentation - thanks once again for your efforts here smile