Teacher and Administrator show up inconsistently under "Available Courses."

Teacher and Administrator show up inconsistently under "Available Courses."

by Alex Greene -
Number of replies: 13

Hi,

I am using Moodle 1.7, and have a few of courses set up. Currently when a user or anyone else goes to my moodle site, they see the list of "Available Courses" that are not hidden. This is fine.

However, under one of my course headings (still in the Available Courses on moodle home page), it displays the name of 2 teachers and one administrator. Under the other 2 course headings, it does not display the names of administrator or teachers associated with it in the course's assigned roles. I cannot figure out how to change this for the life of me. Any thoughts?

Also, this is the first time I have posted something - in the past I've always found solutions in other forum posts. Couldn't find anything this time.

thanks,
alex

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alex Greene

Re: Teacher and Administrator show up inconsistently under "Available Courses."

by Alex Greene -
I should update that today - with no apparent changes on my end - the teacher's name now appears on one of the classes it did not before. Only one class shows the administrator, though.
In reply to Alex Greene

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Alex,

Regarding the admin's name being displayed, this could be due to the user being assigned an additional role in the course.

Regarding the teacher's name now appearing, this could be due to the user logging in for the first time since the role was assigned.

You don't mention what version of 1.7 you are using, however please note that in 1.7.2 onwards the course managers setting (Administration > Appearance > Course managers) provides a simple way of controlling who is listed in the course description.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Alex Greene -

I think my version of moodle must be lower than 1.7.2. In administration, it is listed as: Moodle 1.7 (2006101007).

The administrator is not assigned any other roles in the course in this case.

It sounds like maybe I should upgrade to Moodle 1.7.2. Is this pretty easy?

In reply to Alex Greene

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Yes, I'd recommend you upgrade to Moodle 1.7.2. It's quite straightforward - please check the documentation docs.moodle.org/en/Upgrading.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Alex Greene -
Thanks for your help and the link.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Mike Allen -

I have a similar problem. I'm using 1.7.2+ on Windows. I have set my frontpageloggedin to show List of Courses. The page then displays all the site administrators (6 of them) for every course. It looks poor. I have nothing checked in the Course managers settings. It appears that the Course managers settings have no effect. On courses with teachers allocated, it shows both the administrators and the teachers (in one case 10 lines!), again despite having nothing ticked in the Course managers page.

It would appear that the easiest way may be to disable the .php code that displays the Administrators/teachers. Can anybody point me to the right area please? Or is there anther way of preventing this ugly display?

Mike

In reply to Mike Allen

by Ray Lawrence -
Hi Mike,

Is the same when logged in as a student?
In reply to Mike Allen

by Tim Allen -
This might happen if you have added the administrators at course level rather than at site level. If so, remove them as admins from the course and assign them at site level and it might fix the problem.

Good luck,
Tim.
In reply to Tim Allen

by Alex Greene -

Tim,

I can't speak for Mike, but in my case the displayed administrator (or lack or display, more accurately), does not change if I remove the administrator role at the course level. The administrator accounts in question are assigned at the site level as well.

After hearing about Mike's difficulties with 1.7.2+, I am holding off on the upgrade. His problem sounds more frustrating than mine!

Alex

In reply to Alex Greene

by Alex Greene -

Just wanted to check in to see if anyone else has thoughts or similar issues. I have tried lots of things on my moodle site to change the displayed teachers and administrators, and am not making headway.

The issue noted above for 1.7.2 sounds even worse than mine, so I am holding off on the upgrade. Would welcome any input on this.

Thanks, alex 

In reply to Alex Greene

by Alex Greene -

Can anyone point me toward alternate resources to deal with technical issues like this (even paid consulting)? I know this is an open-source project, and love it for that, but find it kind of disconcerting not to know how to proceed with this relatively simple issue. It makes me wonder what would happen if I have a more serious problem.

In reply to Alex Greene

by Helen Foster -
Hi Alex,

An alternative to the free support offered in this course is paid support from a Moodle Partner. Please check http://moodle.com/support/.

Moodle 1.7.2 contains a number of bug fixes, including some minor security fixes, in addition to the course managers feature, and upgrading is highly recommended.
In reply to Helen Foster

by Alex Greene -

Thanks for the reply - the moodle partners look like what I need.

So I assume that the administrator display problem reported by Mike above for 7.2 is not something to worry about, or at least not a good reason to hold off on upgrading.