The parent role and access control

The parent role and access control

by Duncan Walker -
Number of replies: 2
Thanks Helen. I think I'm starting to understand things a bit better now. I've avoided the override option as I've not understood the actual role option well enough.

I think maybe I'm reading more into how things work than I should be. I saw the role definition as something similar to groups. Where you place a user under a certain definition and this in turn creates some form of access control. From what you've said it's kind of what I'm looking for, but not quite in the way that I've been seeing it.

A perfect scenario would be:

1. 10 new users log on to the system.
2. As administrator I set up a "parent" role, allowing access to grades and forums.
3. I assign the role of parent to each new user.
4. The newly defined parents can now view their child's grades
5. Parents can also reply to forum posts by the school, but NOT students.

Number 5 is a big stumbling block for me at the moment. I'm not sure if I should be assigning Parent role to the course that contains the forums, in some attempt to restrict access to Parents only; or if I should be simply setting an enrolment key or group definition instead.

I'm trying to cut down on administration work and was hoping that the roles option would be just what I was looking for.

Thanks for everyone's patience, as I realise that people who get the roles thing are probably totally happy with it all and must see me as some kind of fool for not understanding it mixed

(Edited by Helen Foster - discussion split from Down to earth explanation of Roles - original submission Monday, 30 April 2007, 02:25 PM)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Duncan Walker

Re: The parent role and access control

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Duncan,

The example parent role in the documentation - docs.moodle.org/en/Parent_role - is actually quite a lot of work to set up, as each parent must be manually connected to their child/children. (You may wish to check the discussion Importing Parents to Moodle.) Please note that it only allows a parent to view their child's activity reports, grades, forum posts etc - it does not allow a parent to access their child's courses.

If you want parents to be able to reply to forum posts by the school then the easiest way would be to enrol them as students in a course containing these forums i.e. assign users the role of parent in the user context and the role of student in the course context.
In reply to Helen Foster

Re: The parent role and access control

by Duncan Walker -
Thanks Helen,

I think I'm getting the hang of it now. It's a case of don't try and fix what's not broke. I've probably tampered too much with the permissions settings and not actually realised what I've been doing.

The parent and forum advise is very helpful and I can now look into that in a more constructive manner.