FTP Clients

FTP Clients

by Myrrh Lynn -
Number of replies: 2
This isn't about Moodle per se, but it relates as much of Moodle must be downloaded.

I have installed Moodle on my very first website and am quite ignorant of how the internet works at large. I'm a great front-end user; don't know the first thing about the behind the scenes!

The webhost I chose offered Moodle as a bonus. So, I installed Moodle from them. I had nothing to download myself; just asked for it and they installed it.

Here's my dilemma: I NEED quite a few modules and blocks that are offered but I have no way to upload them to my server.

I JUST found out that I would need something called an FTP Client. FileZilla and CoreFTP were recommended by my webhost. My webhost, though willing to do the initial installation of moodle is unwilling to download/upload the modules.

The do offer an FTP (something) that allows me to upload 5 individual files at a time. So the process I have been following so far (I have downloaded 2 themes) is this:

I download a module/theme (whatever) to my computer. Then I go to my webhost and open the file manager there for my moodle. Then I create individual folders and upload 5 files at a time into those folders.

This process is wretchedly tedious, especially when themes/modules are several folders deep. I have even run into a problem where after so many levels deep, I can't make anymore folders. Or the folders are rejected because they have single letter titles. (A good example is the 0-Verde theme. I can't create a folder labeled 'd'. Thus I can't upload/install this theme.)

Thus, the need for the FTP Client. Now, here's my heart of my post:

I installed CoreFTP on my computer (FileZilla had a runtime error) BUT I can't figure out how to use the thing?!
The information it is asking for is foreign to me. I have tried to educate myself to the jargon and lingo of the computer-world, but I'm at a dead loss.

Does anyone here use CoreFTP? Would you be willing to explain to me how I'm supposed to use it? There are several CoreFTP instruction guides on the internet, but they all assume I know what all those abbreviations are and that I know where to find the information they are asking for.

For example: What do they mean by HOST/IP/URL ? The instructions say: "This could be anything you desires"?!?!?! (Huh?!?dead I desire to put "monkey" there, but that's not going to get me an upload!)

Please help?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Myrrh Lynn

Re: FTP Clients

by Mauno Korpelainen -

http://www.coreftp.com/doc/
http://www.coreftp.com/docs/web1/Connecting_to_a_FTP_server.htm

"The most critical pieces of information that are needed to connect to a server are:

1:  Host, Internet Address (IP), or URL.
2:  Username
3:  Password

This information is usually provided by your ISP or server provider. The only additional information your ISP may provide is an alternative port.  In most cases the port will always be 21 for standard and SSL FTP connections and 22 for SSH."

(I use the latest version of FileZilla but the most recent versions of FileZilla no longer support Windows 9x/ME.  Using older versions of FileZilla is not recommended due to known security vulnerabilities.)

In reply to Mauno Korpelainen

Re: FTP Clients

by Myrrh Lynn -
Thank you for the recommendation and tutorial. I just got it installed and uploaded my first module and theme! I'm happy! big grin Thank you!