Did NOT change cookie and broke login

Did NOT change cookie and broke login

by Steven Day -
Number of replies: 5
I don't recall changing any settings but now it's no longer possible to login using either Safari or Firefox.

Any suggestions? Actually, sometime I can login but my name does not appear, only the login link. Other times, it rejects my login password.

Running 1.2 (Beta).

Thanks.

Steven
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steven Day

Re: Did NOT change cookie and broke login

by Steven Day -
Hmmm. Rebooted and tried again. First time I could not login but the second time it worked. Strange but true. Any ideas? Something to do with cookies.
In reply to Steven Day

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Usually this is because your setting for wwwroot in config.php does not EXACTLY match the URL you are using to access the site.
In reply to Steven Day

by Robert Lefebvre -
I've seen some previous postings in the forums saying the url needs the "www." in the address. I've had similar problems. I was setting up five Moodle sites in the same domain and found that those I had changed the theme on started acting strange with the symptoms you mention. I also found a strange fix, which was to change the display language after you login (using the drop down near the login) to another language. That will cause a page refresh and often caused the login to take. Eventually I reverted to the original default theme and the problem went away. I later found that the formal white theme also was ok.

I'm running three browsers: IE6, Firefox, and Netscape 7.1. Most of my testing was done with firefox and some with IE6.
In reply to Robert Lefebvre

by Steven Day -
Thanks Martin and Robert. The wwwroot was correct, so it seems that the problem stems from something else. Perhaps the "wrong" page was cached, which seemed to happen with Firefox on another site tonight. Hard to say, since that site was on Yahoo and they marginalize Macs. But it's working fine now.

BTW, any word on Moodle 1.3 yet? Anxiously awaiting.

Best,

Steven

In reply to Steven Day

by Steven Day -
Problem happened again today. I am trying out the OmniWeb v. 5 beta and noticed that it took several tries to log in. Then after doing so, I was logged out after turning editing on in one course site. Flushed the cache and it worked again. I trust this is a browser problem then.

BTW, OmniWeb has created a very nice browser.

Steven