Any insights are appreciated.
If this will help, I've been able to run moodle many times without using a domain name. This is true up through version 1.1. I haven't tested it on version 1.2 yet but I haven't seen any changes that would cause it not to work.
Basically just change the line in your config.php file and make it look something like this
$CFG->wwwroot = "http://22.214.171.124/~username";
I haven't done enough with servers to positively help with the "dynamic" vs "static" IP question. I thought every host server needed a static address? Your ISP can set you up with a static IP
Yes, my ISP can give me a static IP, but that means getting a business account that costs 4 times as much as my current plan (and the olny difference is that they 'allow' me to set up multiple computers (doing that already) and they give me a static IP.)
I do not know what your financial situation is like but suggest you look at low cost hosting depending on your use of MOODLE. It seems many Moodlers are happly with NetMondo. Might be less of a headache for about $3.00 US / month ($21.99/yr). Looks pretty good on a teacher's salary. I will be looking at them myself as my site becomes more concrete. But to tell you the truth, I am kinda waiting for MOODLE v 2.0.
I have installed moodle in my (hosted) website and in my pc for testing and development (and also for fun ) ... I have a DSL internet connection (over PPPoE) with DHCP so I had the same problem!!! I have tried this:
step1) Every time time I connect to the internet I run a little batch file that uses PHP for detecting my (new dynamic) ip address and uploads it via FTP into a text file in a subdirectory of my site (it could also be uploaded to a table of a mysql database)
step 2) That subdirectoriy has index.php that read the last "version" of the text file and redirects the browser to my (new dynamic) ip... and you "get into" your own computer without DNS2GO
(note that step 1 and 2 have nothing to do with moodle)
step 3) After that you still have to make 2 or 3 changes to moodle's code... including some changes in $CFG->wwwroot ...
It works more or less well but it has some problems... (Don't have time for solving it and I am just a begginer )
but it works much better than DNS2GO! IMHO you should forget DSN2GO and create your own PHP based solution...
If anyone is interested please let me know and I will post more detailed information.