Editing, Deleting or Adding Questions and their problems

Editing, Deleting or Adding Questions and their problems

by Stephen Francis -
Number of replies: 3
I did a quick search and didn't find much on this.

Ok, let me describe the problem. We have > 12,000 MULTIPLE CHOICE QUESTIONS which sometimes need Editing, Deleting or even Adding to. However, the moment you do this it wipes those quiz reports from students who have taken tests which were based on the questions you amended (assuming the test was a random selection of questions from the category). This is a very serious problem for us as we need to keep records of those students. (freedom of information etc, regulations etc)

I understand why this happens because of the way Quiz Module is set up, but for us at least, a solution needs to be found.

If a solution is forthcoming from newer versions (ours is 1.6.4+) then great. However, in the interim, if others are suffering this problem, we have done some tests, albeit on Moodle 1.7 which seem to work, ish. Please feel free to comment, i may not have got it all right.

Amending a Question.

Try not to. But if you have too, DO NOT change the Title of the Question or the position/placement of the 100% (or correct answer). The only thing you can do is change the text of the question itself and the text of the answers. If you do anything else you will wipe the records of the students who have sat a test using that data.

Deleting a Question.

Try not too. If you have too, create a "Deleted" questions category and simply move the bad question to that category. Again if you do anything else you will wipe the records of the students who have sat a test using that data.

Adding a Question.

Suprise suprise, try not too. But if you must then make the question in the "Default" category and then MOVE it to the category you want.

Please add to this if you have found any other ideas or even where I have gone wrong.

Regards

Steve

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stephen Francis

Re: Editing, Deleting or Adding Questions and their problems

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Are you sure?

Adding or deleting a questions should not cause any problems. Do you have simple, explicit steps to reproduce the problem?

Amending a question that has been attempted may cause problems, if you completely change the answers. Changing the title should not cause any problems. Again, do you have a reproducible case?

Note that at the bottom of the edit question form, there is a 'save as new question' button. If you are making large changes to a question that has previously been used qin quizzes, you probably want to use that.

P.S. If you don't know what I mean by steps to reproduce, look at the description of this bug: MDL-5688
In reply to Stephen Francis

by Ellen Paxton -
Steve,

The timing of your suggestions could not be any better for me...Thanks!

In creating a set-up with three courses that include a common quiz, I believe my initial problem stemmed from a confusion between the Question options accessible from the Administration panel vs. the Question Edit options accessible from within a particular quiz.

Note, if this is helpful to anyone: When trying to restore or import course content to a 'new' course I received an error about Questions and Categories. A third indicator of this also resulted in the Certificate feature not working properly.

Still trying to sort it out and your suggestions make sense. Will give 'em a try.

Ellen
In reply to Ellen Paxton

by Stephen Francis -
Just to confirm, these problems I encountered were on 1.7. On our installed version of 1.6.4+ these problems DID NOT manifest themselves. I'm going through another check in accordance with Tims advice.

Steve