Lesson Module - Third Release

Lesson Module - Third Release

by Ray Kingdon -
Number of replies: 12
This version adds Branch Tables to the Lesson module. The most obvious use of these is to add a table of contents at the start of a lesson. The lesson can then be divided into branches or sections. You can have branches within branches but whether that's a good idea I somehow doubt.

The new version is in CVS and there are a few changes to the database tables. So if you do take it, please login as Admin and go to the Admin to get the tables updated.

I've attached a new (expanded) demo lesson for the module. It now covers basic use, question types, branches and the flash card option. There's a couple of minor issues with the lesson but I think it's worth putting up now. If you do download it, go to one of your courses and use the Files page to upload it into the backupdata directory. From there you can restore the file. It will create a single lesson in topic/week 1. Please note it uses a Branch Table so this lesson needs this version of the module.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ray Kingdon

Re: Lesson Module - Third Release

by Timothy Takemoto -
I hope I find time to use this module soon!
Sorry for my tardiness.
tim
In reply to Timothy Takemoto

by Timothy Takemoto -

Ray,

I still have not got around to inserting the Lesson Module onto my moodle but I tried it out on the Japanese forum and I think that it is wonderful. That needs bigger letters. It is WONDERFUL.

It makes me feel like a high school student again. I am really looking forward to using and demonstrating it.

With regard to the question as to which type of flashcard is more useful, I think that the "show unseen page" option is not not all that useful as a flasscard type. The idea of the flashcard version is, for me, to provide "evalu-practice:" practice that the instructor can make sure that the student performs. Thus I cannot see the point of having a flashcard mode  that prevents the student from practicing.

HOWEVER, since it performs in a sense like a random question, random answer, one question per page (this function does not, I think, exist) quiz as a secure way of testing I think that it is of value. So, I suggest that you leave the option in, but give it a different gloss. It is a secure method of testing, not a flashcard mode in my humble opinion.

Minor bugs/things
1) There is a
Add a Question Page here at the top of the lesson module that does not seem to work. I.e. it does not seem to be possible to add a page before the first page. This is not something that I wanted to do but I guess that it would be nice.
2) I did not see how to edit the questions at first. The "Add a question page here" etc is given in English but the "edit" is given only as an icon on a fairly dark back ground. I wonder if this will confuse people. Only me probably.
3) On the set up screen it might be a good idea to add optional to those flashcard related options that do not need to be set. Or they could go below a line. Perhaps.
4)  I wonder how the GIFT import works, and whether GIFT has been expanded (Paul Shew?) to add point to the page that should be jumped to. This might not be too difficult to implement if it were just a +/- x pages. 

Thank you,

Tim  
Takemoto

by Ray Kingdon -
Tim, thanks for this, really useful. I'll probably drop the "show unseen page" option and have just a "Flashcard" mode. Possibly in the fullness of time the module might have three modes - Normal Lesson, Flashcard, and Maze. The last is a lesson consisting of Branch Tables, it might be useful.

Bugs:
  1. I'll have a look at adding a page to the top, if it's there it should work.
  2. The edit icon is the standard Moodle icon for editing instances of modules...
  3. Agreed that needs to be made clearer.
  4. Yes, the GIFT import works, at least it did for me surprise. On the export side, I would prefer to have the Lesson module have it's own export/import format (which may look remarkably like the GIFT format with a couple of extras or it may be XML). It would still be able to export a (real) GIFT formatted file but that, obviously would not contain the full "story". We have done lots on import but only the Glossary module (I think) has got an export going.

In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Timothy Takemoto -

Hi Ray,

I am just trying a flashcard lesson (show from an unanswered page) but I can't seem to get out! I guess there is a setting saying how many times questions be asked. Yes I am sure there is. Aha.... I guess the reason that it does not end is, like it says at the end of the help for the "Max Number of Attempts," that "Number of Pages (Cards) to Show" also only comes into force when accessing data from the data base. So, similarly perhaps the end of the flashcard test only comes into force for students. This is slightly non-optimal since it is difficult to know when one has tried all the questions.  But I set it to be a normal lesson first, went through all the questions, and then set it to flashcard mode afterwards.

1) Ideally the "page X" should not be shown in a flashcard lesson since there is no logical order.

2) When I make a mistake I am taken back to the same question that I have just answered incorrectly. I am rather surprised. I thougth I would be taken to an unanswered question. Asking the same question again immediately invites the students to respond simply by picking a random answer that they did not pick before. If it were me I would have it like normal flashcards (made out of card) and put unswered questions in (or even at the end of) the not yet answered questions pack.

Update. I just tried it from the students perspective and it seems that if I answer incorrectly then I am given the same question again immediately. Is that how you planned it? Ideally in a flashcard type lesson the card should come back again *later* (a lot of flash card programs, and indeed students using packs of flash cards simply put the card to the bottom of the pack. That is fine too).

But it is dead cool either way.

Tim
takemoto

PS I still think leaving the "Show from an unseen question" as "Exam Mode" would be appreciated by quite a few on the quiz forum. One day when the quiz module has that option then it would become redundant but for the time being quite a few people have asked for a one question per page functionality.

by Ray Kingdon -
Tim, thank for this.

1) I think if you leave the page titles blank nothing appears, I'm sure I tried that mixed.
2) That's a function of the Number of attempts parameter. Setting that to 1 should give you the behaviour you expect.

Yes, I'll leave the two F/C options as they are for now. And I agree the Set-up page needs re-organisation.

In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Jonny McCullagh -
I am a novice so I hope I am not asking dumb questions.
I went into my Files and made a folder called backupdata as one did not exist and I uploaded the xml file into it. However, I do not have the option to restore?
Am I doing something obviously wrong?
Thanks
In reply to Jonny McCullagh

by Timothy Takemoto -
Perhaps you need to import it? There is an option to import on the lesson pages. I think that restore will only work with files made by the restore module.
Tim
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Jonny McCullagh -
I downloaded and installed the latest Beta version of moodle (1.3).
I created a new lesson and love the feature. I did however experience a problem which I was able to work around but which you might want to think of changing in the code.
When I added a branch table the Description 1, Description 2 etc fields showed up as htmleditor areas thus allowing me to format my text. I did this but the html which this produced made a mess of the buttons for the navigation view which the users would see.
It might be an idea to either limit these description fields to a single line text field without the html editor, or else to display the descriptions as hyperlinks rather than form buttons inside a form so the link would surround the formatted text.

Just an idea for improvement.
Another idea might be to keep the Question page text together with the answers in one block rather than seperating the answers from the question? Simply for layout.

I'll continue my experiments with the lessons module now but to the developer, Ray, thanks - this is just what Moodle needed!
In reply to Jonny McCullagh

by Ray Kingdon -
Well done for getting "up to speed", things seem to moving at a pace at moment  big grin

Yes, the HTML editor is not the best animal to set up Branch Tables. The text is, as you say, used on buttons. I've got a new version of the module which cuts back on the use of the editor (for a number of other reasons). In that version Descriptions, Answers and Responses are (initially) input in simple textarea boxes. There's option to turn on the full works, that is the editor, for particualr items should you feel the need. That version should be in CVS in a couple of days time, I need to do a bit more testing.

Thanks for the layout idea, I assume that's on the teacher's page where the complete lesson is displayed. It could do with a bit of compression wink .

In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Ray Kingdon -
On the last point, I've now done a bit of compression of the teacher's page in the latest version (fourth release). I hope that's what was meant.
In reply to Ray Kingdon

by Elle Gitlin -
Thanks for the speedy turnaround, Ray! The branching and table-of-contents changes are just what I was looking for.  I've already redone some of my current lessons to take advantage of the new features.
In reply to Elle Gitlin

by Ray Kingdon -
Elle, you're welcome big grin. But see my previous post about the HTML editor and Branch Table labels.