Where do images go?

Where do images go?

by Meilech Leib DuBrow -
Number of replies: 10
New to Moodle. Using 1.7. I created a lesson and was successful in inserting an image. But I'd like to store all of my images in a subdirectory of my own creation and choosing. My questions are 1) where do the images go when I "uplaod" them? 2) How can I create an image directory for all of my modlues--e.g, lessons, quizzes, etc.?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Meilech Leib DuBrow

Re: Where do images go?

by Art Lader -
Hi, Meilech,

The images go into a subdirectory in your moodledata folder. You can drill down to the right course number and find them there. (Screen capture below.)

If you want to create a media folder as you describe, maybe the Site files on the front page would be a good place to do that.

Hope that helps a bit.

Regards,
Art

Attachment images-data.jpg
In reply to Art Lader

by Meilech Leib DuBrow -
Actually, I'm still a bit confused. I looked for /moodledate/, but couldn't find it. The closest I got was /uploaddata/2/ and that is where I found my images. So is that the same thing? If so, a couple more questions: 1) where did the /2/ come from--this is the first course I am creating? 2)when I am using "insert image" in Lesson module, how do I tell it to upload to a specific subdirectory?

Thanks for you patience.

by Art Lader -
Hi, again,

No problem at all!

Course number one is the front page of your site. That's why the first course you create is course number two.

The moodledata directory is usually found one directory above your public directories. My screen capture was made of the view from my FTP client.

As far as I know, you cannot tell the lesson module where to put your images. What you can do, however, is upload the images in advance to whatever folder you desire and then call the images from there. So, you could, for example, create a "media " directory somewhere and put all your images there in advance and tell the lesson mod to get them from there. (That is what I do with big multimedia files so that they do not become part of the backup files for a course.)

Maybe that helps a little?

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Meilech Leib DuBrow -
That helps a lot. Just one last question.

You wrote:
>...create a "media " directory somewhere and put all your images there in advance and tell the lesson mod to get them from there.

So how do I tell the lesson mod to do that?

by Art Lader -
Hi,

So far, so good!

The lesson mod won't be the tool you use to create the media directory.

I would do that with an FTP client before I created the lesson. Then I would upload my images to that directory. When creating the lesson, I could then get the images from that location - for example, .

If you want to use Moodle to actually create the directory for you, though, you can do that if you are the Moodle admin. On the front page, go to Site files and use it to make your media folder. That works very well.

Regards,
Art

Attachment sitefiles.jpg

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi Meilech and Art,
Excellent questions, answers and posts. I upload images all the time and I forgot it took me some time to figure out what I needed to know.

I checked MoodleDocs and could only find Page content and it image insertion section. I got here via the HTML editor page. I notice it does not talk about file folders, nor does it link to other places in MoodleDocs. It could be more helpful.

We (I) need to expand and or do a better job in linking in MoodleDocs. This thread is a big help to make sure these questions and answers are covered. I think this dropped off my mental "to do" or "roundtuit" list.

Chris
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Chris Collman

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers
I like to pull all my images from a windows file structure that is identical to my course file structure in Moodle. Without going into a lot of details, I zip my windows folder, upload it and unzip it in Moodle in the course file area. Then I insert my images from there and don't upload them one at a time.

I have discovered that I can change all or some of the lesson pictures at once by unpacking a new zip file. That saves me all kinds of time when the instructor changes the background on some of the image files.

Chris
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Chris Collman

by Meilech Leib DuBrow -
Thanks for your continued help.

Following the comments of both Art and you, I tried moving all of my lesson images to the /uploaddata/2/ subdirectory on my local system. Sure enough, when I clicked on "insert image" in lesson edit, the images were there.

But I kept noticing that the file structure that the two of you describe is not the same as what I see. Maybe this discussion needs to move to another forum, but...

I used my host's fantastico facility to install Moodle 1.7. It definitely installed version 1.7. But is it possible that it does not install directories such as /moodledata, because that directory definitely does not exist on my remote system.

Re: Where do images go? Fantastico

by Meilech Leib DuBrow -
Discovered the answer to my question in another post, which I copy here for anyone having the same problem. Now it all makes sense.

Re: uploaddata folder ?
by Randy Obert - Tuesday, 14 November 2006, 12:39 AM

Upon a bit of poking around, it appears that [ when using fastastico to install moodle] the "uploaddata" folder replaces the "moodledata" folder.

However it is placed inside the root web folder rather than the root folder of the account (/home/user/public_html/uploaddata rather than /home/user/moodledata).

If you look to config.php it references the main data folder as the newly installed /home/user/public_html/uploadata folder rather than the original /home/user/moodledata folder.

Please correct me if I am making an error here but I simply moved the "uploaddata" folder to the account root and changed the config.php to reflect this move. Seems a terrible security issue to place data folder where the public can access it.

Re: Where do images go? Fantastico

by Art Lader -
You are very welcome, Meilech.

> However it is placed inside the root
> web folder rather than the root folder
> of the account (/home/user/public_html/uploaddata
> rather than /home/user/moodledata)

Yikes! That does seem odd, to say the least.

-- Art