Problems with default settings for roles

Problems with default settings for roles

by Melissa Newman -
Number of replies: 1

There are definitely problems with the roles in the newest version.  I assigned a user to be a teacher of a specific course, and she was not given the ability to edit the course.  The only way that I could get the user to have editing privelidges was to make the user a teacher for all of the courses.

The default roles should work the way that person would logically expect them to work.

1. A teacher of a specific course should have course editing capabilities for that course and no other courses.  With the default settings, I tried to assign a user as a teacher for a specific course, and the user did not have course editing capabilitites.

2. A non-editing teacher of a specific course should have the capability to run the course without being able to edit the course.  Have not tested, but if the above does not work, there are probably problems with this one as well.

3. A person who is a global course creator, and a teacher of a specific course, on the main page for the courses they should be listed as a teacher, not course creator.  In terms of running a course, a teacher has a higher rank than a course creator.  Usually a course creator would be a secretary or a counselor or a department head.  A student does not care who created a course.  They care who is teaching a course.  Maybe make an option.  Assign teacher: <user A>, list as "Teacher".

Melissa

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Melissa Newman

Re: Problems with default settings for roles

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Melissa,

When you mention "the newest version" are you referring to 1.8 beta? As far as I know, roles work as expected in this version. There is also a course managers setting in the site administration which allows you to set only teachers to be listed in the course description.

If you find any bugs in 1.8 beta, please add a report to the tracker.