1.5.2 to 1.7.1 where did the ability (capability) to enrol yourself go?

1.5.2 to 1.7.1 where did the ability (capability) to enrol yourself go?

by Heather P -
Number of replies: 2
Apologies if this has been asked and answered before but I've lost the plot entirely wading through this roles and legacy thing.
We had Moodle 1.5.2 set up to authenticate via LDAP (active directory) this meant that anybody who logged into Moodle could if they so wished enroll to any course (or unenrol themselves) but until they had the course did not appear in their 'My Courses List'
On upgrading to 1.7.1 they can no longer enroll themselves to any course by default - if I give them all a role of Student at site level then every course appears in their 'My Courses' even though they haven't been in them all, which isn't really what we want.
We also had non teaching editors - i.e. we had people set up as tutors but had chosen the hide option, these were mainly support staff wo have no contact with learners but do help with uploading materials etc. these people are no longer hidden and appear with the course name on the home page as tutors. is there an easy way to change this?
I thought initially that the legacy roles would replicate what had gone before but clearly it doesn't and like many other posters I am marginally confused.
I don't really want to spend the beginning of each year enrolling vast swathes of people to particular courses nor do I want every learner to look like they are on every course if you understand my meaning.
I'm looking for any help or advice.
Many thanks
Heather
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Heather P

Re: 1.5.2 to 1.7.1 where did the ability (capability) to enrol yourself go?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Sorry about the confusion.

The answer is rather simple though.

1) Don't assign any roles for the students manually (at site level or otherwise).

2) Make sure the courses settings use the "site default" enrolment method (should be internal enrolment by default).

That's it. You can still add enrolment keys etc as well if you want, just like always.

About the teachers who appear on the course list as tutors in 1.7 they are simply all people with "moodle/course:update" capability. You can still hide individual people by checking the "hide" box when you assign them a role there.

In 1.8 there is a new admin setting that lets you explicity choose which roles you want to come up as a "course manager" (which is a lot simpler).

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: 1.5.2 to 1.7.1 where did the ability (capability) to enrol yourself go?

by Heather P -
Thanks.
The confusion gets worse. This is how I had my Moodle set up. I thought it wasn't working because when I tried to enroll on some courses I could not. I have however just discovered that any courses that were set up with 'Is this a meta course?:' set to Yes it won't allow enrollments, it comes up with this course does not allow public access. All the other courses are fine i.e. the ones set to is it Meta No!
I now need to find a quick way of identifying all the courses set up as meta courses so that when we upgrade across the board I can turn them to no.

As for checking the Hide box when assigning a role where exactly is the hide box? I went to the course, clicked assign roles, no check box there, clicked on tutor, I can see the existing tutors and the potential but no check boxes for anything. I tried from the participants block, no hides there, from the settings block, no hides there. Even at site level and users I still cannot find any boxes to check for hide.
Thanks