1.7 Chat - worse than 1.6...help?

1.7 Chat - worse than 1.6...help?

by Roger Emery -
Number of replies: 3

Hi All,

We're running 1.7+ on Win20003 server with Oracle 10.2.0.3.0. database.

Mostly going OK, but having some problems with the Chat activity.
I'm aware there are performance issues with the chat features, but it is running much slower and loosing messages and kicking people out at a much higher rate than the 1.6 set up we had (on a much slower/lower spec server running  win2003, but with mySQL

I've played with all the settings in the admin area to no avail, are there any server settings I can look at to improve the performance - at least to get it back to the 1.6 level, which was acceptable?

Yours in hope!

Roger

Solent University
(now officially adopting Moodle site wide for a/c 2007-8 and integrating with Oracle portal, which will be fun...)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Roger Emery

Re: 1.7 Chat - worse than 1.6...help?

by Roger Emery -
Further testing and experimentation reveals the only difference is the Oracle db - so this is the problem.
Be warned other Oracle db users and please feed back your findings.

I'll keep this updated as we investigate.
In reply to Roger Emery

Now using chat deamon 1.3 - much better

by Roger Emery -
Well we've got the solution and it is just a little drastic...

Rebuilt the server with the classic build of linix and mySQl and then make use of the chat deamon that works very well with very fast performance.
Our server guy said that we had version1.0 and he has since upgraded that to version 1.3 which runs even better.

He also tried Ahmet's chat rebuild but said that didn't perform so well (on our set-up anyway).

In reply to Roger Emery

chat deamon script dies

by Roger Emery -
Seems this isn't the end of it.

The chat deamon script keeps stopping for no apparent reason. I t works fine while it works, then just dies after a number of hours