chat module revamped

chat module revamped

by ahmet sacan -
Number of replies: 5
The chat daemon was not working in the new version. apparently it was not being maintained as the header_js versions. The common codes in the three different methods (keepalive, streams, and chatd) should better be collected in shared functions, to minimize update conflicts.

I have corrected some of the errors in different chat methods, and added some new features. all three methods now work synchronously. you can download the updated module from:
http://www.ceng.metu.edu.tr/~ahmet/Wiki/software/moodle_chat_revamped/moodle_chat_revamped

here is a summary of the new features:
  • chatinput: added multiline text (use Shift+Enter to send), html, and drawing input features.
  • chatd: works synchronously with other methods.
  • chatd: Sending small but continuous dummy data after each message (instead of sending a single big chunk of dummy data), works better for Firefox. IE doesn’t need this dummy data. I haven’t tested this for other browsers.
  • chatd: support for multiple sites.
  • fixed the jsupdated bug. now the messages is updated as soon as user sends a message.
  • Users can select the chat method and refresh rate.
  • users can select to show/hide pictures and enter/exit messages in chat session or in old chat reports.
  • fixed grouping bugs in chat reports.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to ahmet sacan

Re: chat module revamped

by Michael Penney -
Hi Ahmet, these new features look very nice! Hey did you enter this in the bug tracker (tracker.moodle.org)?
In reply to Michael Penney

by Art Lader -
Yes, Ahmet, Michael is right. Please do submit these improvements to the issue tracker.

Nice job!

Regards,
Art
In reply to ahmet sacan

by Pathmini P -

Hi Ahmet,

Thank you soo much for the chat implementation. It is really look good and have more features. I have found some bugs in the html area. When I type a line and back space and type again, information is being entered for each space still and i have fixed this issue. there's an another bug i cant resolve is "The font colour resets to black" every time i click enter.I went through the coding..couldnt figure out. Could you please let me know if you have any idea. Thank you very much smile

Pathmini P

In reply to ahmet sacan

by Chad Outten -

Has the revamped chat module been tested compatible with moodle 1.7? upon install i get

'Version mismatch: chat can't downgrade 2006091800 -> 2006080701 !'

Cheers, Chad