Pushing grades to a Student Management System

Pushing grades to a Student Management System

by Michael Feldstein -
Number of replies: 3
Has anyone implemented integration between the gradebook and an SIS/SMS?
In reply to Michael Feldstein

Re: Pushing grades to a Student Management System

by Anthony Borrow -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
I modified the text export option to allow for exporting the gradebook (actually gradebookplus_v2) to Chancery's eClass Grades. This has worked well for me on our Moodle 1.6.3+ production server. The downside is that it is an all or nothing export/import procedure but it allowed me to get my grades in without retyping them and that saved me a fair amount of time. I am interested in looking at other and evaluating - preferably open source SIS/SMS programs. Any suggestions as to what folks are recommending. I think it would be great to see some integrations developed with Moodle and move towards a more integrated package. Peace.

by Michael Penney -
Hi Michael, we've done some work along this line as part of our DLportal project. For that project, Doug Dixon developed a 'Final Grades/Transcripts' tool, that pushes the final grades from a course to a central table, and provides basic functionality for import to an SIS via CSV (the original idea was a portal that could be used by all the CSU's, since we have a number of different SIS systems with various levels of data sharing capability and all in the process of migrating to Peoplesoft/Fusion, we decided to go with exporting the most generally support format for the prototype).

Certainly the export could/should be extended for IMS , webservices, etc.

Anyway, the CSU DLPortal idea didn't get beyond the prototype stage, but Doug has continued to work on the Transcripts component, with the idea that perhaps we'll implement a reference example here at Humboldt. It also does nice things from within Moodle such as show a student their grade history, courses left to take in their program, ability to set grading periods (after which the final grades can't be changed), etc.

There is some more information in the ppt here:
http://www.humboldt.edu/~mmp5/#presentations

And Doug has posted the current code here:
http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=396

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi everyone
I realise this is an old discussion but I wondered if anyone has recently pushed grades from Moodle to an SIS/SMS?

Michael, your Transcript plugin seems to only push final grades (is that right?) and doesn't appear to have been updated for some time.

We are thinking of providing an XML file with the relevant fields and wondered if anyone has done something similar. If so,
  • are you creating the grade items in the SIS/SMS at the same time as pushing the scores?
  • are you completely replacing what is in the SIS/SMS with the latest scores pushed by Moodle?
  • What detail are you pushing?
  • How are you coping with grade categories?
Any input would be great to hear smile
Cheers
Teresa