Strange email problem

Strange email problem

by Tim Allen -
Number of replies: 3

The email address I am subscribed under in this course is "jamming".  I use MS Outlook and I get multiple copies of one email - sometimes 20 copies gets redownloaded again and again, but then it stops.

This is the error message generated:

"Task 'Hannam General - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC90) : 'Your incoming (POP3) e-mail server has reported an internal error. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).  The server responded: [http://moodle.org/mod/glossary/view.php?id=3D1024&mode=3Dletter&hook=3DH&='"

It includes a moodle.org url.  I haven't been able to solve this problem yet, and I am wondering if there is some problem with a moodle.org email.  Can anyone shed any light on this?  I want my email account back!  sad

TIA, Tim.  smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tim Allen

Re: Strange email problem

by Brian Koontz -
We're experiencing a similar problem...hundreds of duplicate e-mails are being sent to a few of our students. I've yet to pin down the problem, but it's serious enough that this might call an end to our live test of Moodle.

--Brian
In reply to Tim Allen

by Mark Hughes -
Until someone gets to the bottom of it, give the students (or yourself) who are being spammed email addresses that are shams. (e.g. jack@jill) But make sure you don't pick an address that works...that'd be a bad thing.

Mark
In reply to Tim Allen

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Where are you seeing this error message, outlook?

Moodle has nothing whatever to do with your POP3 server. I am prepared to be proved wrong (wouldn't be the first time), but I don't think that this is to do with Moodle. Brian's problem turned out to be a weird interaction between Moodle and his local sendmail and I think he has now sorted it - Martin has provided a fix for it in CVS too. Nothing to do with your problem though.

This is probably the work of a virus or spammer. Have you done what the message said, and contacted your mail administrator? The full headers of one of the messages would also prove the origins of the message.