Why students can not see others' journals

Why students can not see others' journals

by Paopao L -
Number of replies: 6
It seemed there are group function under journal module.
But I tried "no group" and "visual group", no luck at all.

So now students can only see their own journal, what should I do to make the journal available to every one?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paopao L

Re: Why students can not see others' journals

by Fred Quay -
Hello !
A journal is private, by nature... Each student publishes and sees it's own, teacher sees and grades any.
Try Wiki or Blog and group management to share.
In reply to Fred Quay

by Tracy Magnan -

I have been trying to figure this feature out!  So, from what I'm learning is that if I open up a Journal assignment, each student can post to the journal and only that student and myself will be able to see it?

Can I comment in their journals?  I'm hoping this feature will replace my interactive journals- one less notebook to carry around is always nice.

In reply to Tracy Magnan

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Yes you can comment on their journals - nowadays the journal is pretty much like the online text assignment though to be honest. Another possibility though it takes a lot of fiddling is to do an individual (one to one) forum for each student - only you and the student can see their postings - this has the advantage that they can continually update it, add to it and you can see the whole thread over weeks rather than the journal which is one item they edit.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Tracy Magnan -

I am unfamiliar with "online text assignment"- that is not something I see in thepull-down assignments menu. 

Let me see if I'm understanding you correctly:

The journal is basically ONE post, that is simply continually updated within the single text box. So, in order to see entries over time, the student would have to diligently date each entry right?  This way, it's more work for the student, but easier for me because I wouldn't have to create 30+ individual forums correct?

Thank you for your assistance.

In reply to Tracy Magnan

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Short answer yes. The online text assignment should appear in add an activity>assignment>online text. (one of four assignment types) If you don't have it perhaps your Moodle is an earlier version?