Exclude admin users from Participant list not working

Exclude admin users from Participant list not working

by Doug Vermes -
Number of replies: 6
I am using Moodle 1.7 stable, but noticed that my site administrator shows up in the participant lists of all courses. I looked more closely at moodle/user/index.php and see there is a section of code (starting on line 257) designed to "exclude 'admin' users (those with 'doanything' at site level). I don't think this code is having the desired effect. I have only one site admin user, and the Administrator role does have permissions to do anything. Yet they still show up in the Participants list of all courses.

As far as I can tell, when the actual SQL select statement is constructed (starting on line 337 of moodle/user/index.php), the WHERE condition is somehow not excluding the "doanything" users found earlier. (line 346)

For my own temporary purposes, I modified the WHERE condition to exclude my admin user using a hardcoded username, but this is hardly a real solution for all.

Is this a known bug, or is there something I am missing here?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Doug Vermes

Re: Exclude admin users from Participant list not working

by Jeff Wood -

Doug,

I too have noticed this.

My problem extends to the fact that I am the site admin and also a teacher of courses.  All my courses now list me as "administrator" when in pervious moodle versiosn I was listed as a teacher.

I realize I could create another role for me as teacher, but don't really want to manage 2 user accounts.

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Wood

by Doug Vermes -
I am actually in the same situation, being both the administrator and a teacher of my Moodle site. I ended up going with the 2 user account option, less than ideal though it is.
In reply to Doug Vermes

by Richard Ackland -

I created a new role called "sixth form students" basically intented to be the same as a normal student with a few extra features..

at our school Standard students are not allowed to use chat, sixth formers can...

however, whilst i seem to have cloned the student and made the modifications, the new Sixthformers, now appear in all participant lists for all courses...

I assigned the sixthformer role at site level.

have i done something wrong?

In reply to Richard Ackland

by Richard Ackland -
I have experiemented further, and basically every role assigned at site level (other than student) appears in the participant list of every course.
In reply to Richard Ackland

by Jeff Wood -
Richard,

I too found this, but also found that even "students" assigned at the site level become members of all courses.

It will take time figuring out roles.

Jeff