Legacy role names

Legacy role names

by Martin Huntley -
Number of replies: 3
Am I correct in assuming that the pre-1.7 way of changing the default and per course names of "teacher" and "student" (to, for example, "team leader"/"team member") is now done by changing the names of the legacy roles in question?

Am I also correct that I should not change the "shortnames" of these legacy roles?

Or, is it recommended practice to keep all the legacy roles "as is" (including their names) and create new roles to go with different names? (If this is the case, it would be easier if there was a way to clone an existing role and then modify it - which I don't think you can do right now.)
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martin Huntley

Re: Legacy role names

by Yu Zhang -
Hi Martin,

You can change the names of the legacy roles to whatever you want, there would be no problems with that, as long as the correct legacy capability (moodle/legacy:student) etc is still attached.

You can also change the shortnames to whatever you like. Changing the name would not cause any trouble for Moodle because names or shortnames were not used to lookup roles.

There is no need to create other roles if you just want to change the name of these legacy roles. There is a new clone function in 1.8, still not sure if it will be in 1.7.

Cheers,

Yu
In reply to Yu Zhang

by Artem Andreev -
You said about default role names...

What about per course? It would be very useful...
In reply to Artem Andreev

by Yu Zhang -
Hi,

Currently no as this will require database changes, but planned and quite high on the list.

Cheers,

Yu