Admin role not working?

Admin role not working?

by Brian Schmidt -
Number of replies: 4
I have a new 1.7 installation and am either having some issues with assigning a role or maybe just confused. big grin

After setting up the system, I added another account. Using the admin account, I went to Users -> Accounts -> [clicked on the account] -> Roles/Assign Roles -> Administrator and then moved that account over to the left to add it.

However, it doesn't seem to be doing what I'm expecting. I'm trying to set this account up as a site admin. However, when I log in with this account, I don't get the admin menu along the side. I then just tried to browse to the /admin directory and get this message:
"Sorry, but you do not currently have permissions to do that (Change site configuration)"

Am I missing something? Is this not how I would go about adding a site admin?

TIA,
Brian
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Brian Schmidt

Re: Admin role not working?

by Yu Zhang -
Hi Brian,

The tab you see in user profile links to that user context. Roles assigned there are meant mainly for "parents/guardian" type of roles that links to a user only. So assigning an admin role into a user context does not really make sense.

To assign a site admin, you can click on User->Permissions->Assign Roles on the Site Administration block, then click on the role you wish to assign, and find the user and assign him this role.

Please note that all role assignment are context based. It only make sense to assign an admin account at the site context.

Cheers,

Yu
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Yu Zhang

by Brian Schmidt -
Thanks, Yu!

This worked perfect for me. I think I was just a little confused about the relationships, since I figured browsing the users from the site level, and choosing a role, was going to accomplish what I needed. Your explanation makes sense and it works exactly as I needed now.

Thanks,
Brian
In reply to Brian Schmidt

by Genner Cerna -
How do i restore my role as Administrator, if i accidentally remove myself?

When I login login, boom no Admin and no admin add all rights.

Problem occurs in Moodle 1.7 stable.