Some Novell Questions

Some Novell Questions

by Tom Vallance -
Number of replies: 16

Hi, I noticed that there are a few users out there that are using Moodle on a Netware server.   I just finished an install of Moodle on our Netware server that is running Apache, PHP and MySQL.  Everything seemed to go fairly smooth during the install.  But I have a few questions.

1.  I am getting an open_basedir restriction when I am editing courses.  I know that there is a line in the php.ini file where you specify directories that can use open_basedir.  I added sys:\apache\htdocs  during installation, and if I am understanding it correctly everything below htdocs should work.  And you would think that is true since moodle is working in the first place.  The exact error is as follows: "Warning: open_basedir restriction in effect. File is in wrong directory in sys:/apache/htdocs/moodle/course/lib.php on line 821"

Since the directory /moodle/course is below htdocs then the restriction shouldn't be happening.  Any thoughts?

2.  I have setup an upload directory for documents, but I'm not sure how to give read access.  I know that you do a chmod if I were using Unix, but this is Netware.  How do you do this in Netware?

Thanks for any help.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tom Vallance

Re: Some Novell Questions

by Rod Urquhart -
Hi Tom,
I am having similar problems - looking around it appears that the web server needs write access to the moodledata directory. Have you solved your problem yet cause I'm still stuck - any ideas?

Rod Urquhart
In reply to Tom Vallance

by IT Support -

Tom,

I am having similar difficulties on NW6.5sp2 First of all I couldn't get GD for PHP to work until I had tracked down about a dozen PHP extension libs. (I now have these zipped up if people want, or I can show you the URL's)

But now I keep getting "Warning: open_basedir restriction in effect. File is in wrong directory in MOODLE:/moodle/admin/index.php on line 4
Warning: Cannot add header information - headers already sent by (output started at MOODLE:/moodle/admin/index.php:4) in MOODLE:/moodle/admin/index.php on line 5"

I have found that if I replace the variables ($CFG->.....) with a coded location (ie ./moodle/admin/index.php) it works until I get to the next path that uses a variable. I changed many of these but then had messages that moodle could find the "sessions" in the "dataroot" however these had unusful info like "error on line0" or "unknown".

Now I'm really stuck, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jim

In reply to IT Support

by Pete Rivacy -

Jim,

I can't help you with your problem, sorry but I would like to access the URL's where you got the gd libraries from, we are having the same problem with NW6.5

Thanks, Pete

In reply to Pete Rivacy

by IT Support -

Pete,

Sorry for the delay but here is the URL I used.

http://www.myuli.de/internet/opensource.html but GD lib still has some problems.

However Michele Balazs has put me onto another source,  http://www.gknw.com/php/dev/?D=A but again there are GDLib issues with the version she is using, but there seem to be later versions. I will try try these at some point to see if it fixes my GDlib issues.

Regards,

Jim

In reply to IT Support

by theo leenders -
I see there is already a answer to your problem.
I left openbasedir blank
that works.

theo

Iám also trieing to solve the GD and Zlib problem.

theo

In reply to theo leenders

by theo leenders -
I have already solved the GD en Zlib problems. With php4 and some adjustment in 3 scripts all wordks fine with nw6.5 sp2
If anyone wants tips i hear from you

theo

by Harald Sander -

Hello,

I am also working on a solution for the gd and zlib problem. Has anyone already solved the problem?? Using NW 6.5 SP2 PHP 4

Harald

by John Pictin -

Hi Theo and all.  I would like to know how you worked out some of the issues around zlib and GD.  I have a problem right now.  All of the data including zip files is being flagged execute only (Netware attributes) and cannot be copied.  Moodle has no problem working with the zips, but I cannot download or back them up.  I am trying to move to another server and cannot get any data off of the existing machine.  Any thoughts?  I tried changing the directorypermissions setting in config.php but I can't get rid of the execute only attribute.  I tried x-away.exe, but when it runs it reports runtime error 200 at 01E9:0091 and terminates.

Any help would be appreciated.

John

In reply to John Pictin

by John Pictin -

Just an update to my previous post.  I did resolve my issue.  After much searching I found copy of X-away that did run properly, and it even came with some docs too! Here is the URL if anyone is so inclined to take a peek.

http://www.geocities.com/wstools/?200521

That said, I have my files off and I am now moving to a Win2k03 iis6 install.mixed

by Peter Atalla -

Theo,

I am running moodle on a Netware 6.5 SP2 server and managed to get the gd going but am having problems with the ZLIB.  I am able to do a backup but when I try to extact the backup I get an error saying that the zip file is corrupt.  If you could help me get this going that would be great.

Peter.

In reply to Peter Atalla

by Henry Herrick -
Also had problems with zlib. But resolved and at the moment cannot recall what I did, I will backtrack and relay to you the fix. The backup thing is posing a real problem for us we also are expereinceing this.
In reply to Tom Vallance

by IT Support -

Hi Tom,

I have solved my problems with "open_basedir"

Edit your SYS:PHP\PHP.INI to contain the present directory (.) and all your data directories. Mine looks like the one below:

open_basedir = ".;SYS:/temp;VOLUME:/MoodleProgDir;VOLUME:/MoodleDataDir"

Also I edited SYS:\SYSTEM\NWSEC.INI to read PHP=off which turns off the security on the PHP app.

These futher edits allowed Moodle to install and run with no problems. smile

Jim

In reply to IT Support

by Mike McKee -

Hi I am using netware 6.5 sp2 and have moodle installed and running great except for one tiny problem.  I cannot get the unzipping of files to work within moodle using the built in pclzip library.  I can upload, zip up files, and move files within moodle with no problems only extracting causes an error.  I was wondering if you encountered this?  It seems that pclzip extraction function has problems with my absolute path of SYS:/apache2/html/moodle/ it seems like it gets to the colon and then cuts off so I get an error of path_creation_fail because it thinks the actual directory to extract to is ./SYS:

Any Ideas?

In reply to Mike McKee

by Peter West -

I have the same problem and if yo change the path ./moodledata' , the login loops. Has anyone solved this ? Need help desperatley ?!!!

Peter