Authentication with RADIUS against Freeradius

Authentication with RADIUS against Freeradius

by Sven Laudel -
Number of replies: 3
Hallo everybody,

i'm quite new to moodle but have to setup a moodle instance for our university. We want it to authenticate our users against the central user databases. We have a few different user database, for example LDAP for students, mailserver for teachers and so on. Our computer center, who hosts those databases only allows the usage of RADIUS to query for allowed users. So they have set up a freeradius server which in the backend queries the different LDAP servers and so on.

Now here comes our problem:
The moodle instance is running on a Gentoo Linux box (amd64) with PHP 5.1.6-pl4-gentoo, apache 2.0.58, postgresql 8.0.8 ...
Additionally we emerged dev-php5/pecl-radius and some pear modules (for radius authentication needed).
If we now select RADIUS authentication in the admin-settings, it doesn't work. We entered the correct server and shared secret but if i want to authenicate via radius, it fails with the following error message: "Radius send failed: Error sending request: No valid RADIUS responses received".
Then i tried to have a local radius server running in debug mode an to try it again, here my radius server puts out the following error message: "WARNING: Malformed RADIUS packet from host 127.0.0.1: Invalid attribute 0"...???!!

So does anybody have moodle authenticating against freeradius and can help me? I don't know where the error lies.

Thanks in advance...
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sven Laudel

Re: Authentication with RADIUS against Freeradius

by Martín Langhoff -
Hi Sven!

the RADIUS auth plugin was contributed by Clive Gould but I'm not aware of anyone else using it. What you have done so far makes sense to me -- but I don't really have a test system to test against sad

For more details, see http://moodle.org/mod/forum/search.php?id=5&words=&phrase=&notwords=&fullwords=&hfromday=1&hfrommonth=1&hfromyear=1&hfromhour=1&hfromminute=1&htoday=1&htomonth=1&htoyear=1&htohour=1&htominute=1&forumid=25&subject=RADIUS&user=
In reply to Martín Langhoff

by Sven Laudel -
Hi,

thanks for your help. I now know what the problem was.
I tried to use radius authentication on my Gentoo Linux AMD64 Box but the needed PECL-Radius package for php is only available for GEntoo x86. So i ran into a mistake.
Now i changed the underlying architecture to x86 and it works really great.

So hope this may help others... Don't try radius authentication on gentoo linux amd64!

In reply to Sven Laudel

by awa eva -

j'ai fais l'authentification radius moodle ensuite si j'essaie de me connecter avec certains utilisateurs creer sur le serveur radius j'ai ce resultat la " radius send failed error sending request no valid radius responses received" stp aidez moi