How to handle two semesters of same course with same students in Gradebook

How to handle two semesters of same course with same students in Gradebook

by David Huston -
Number of replies: 3
Title says it all.

I have begun a new Moodle course which lasts two semesters.

But students are graded on separate semesters.

In other words, their grades start over fresh second semester.

How do you handle that?

Do I "de-categorize" first semester grades to "uncategorized" and set that weighting equal to zero?

Any other ideas?
In reply to David Huston

Re: How to handle two semesters of same course with same students in Gradebook

by Martin Cothran -

David,

I see you have not gotten a reply here, but I had this same problem and the only way I could figure out how to handle it was to set up two separate courses, one for each semester.  But I know that's not the answer you are looking for.  I'll be interested to see if anyone has a better solution.

Martin

In reply to David Huston

by Eric Brewer -
I have a similar problem but more complex - I work at a high school and have four separate quarters and a final (and possibly a midterm). I would really like to make this work - the students really like the on line class environment - but this grade thing is a big problem.
In reply to Eric Brewer

by Gary Anderson -
We use trimesters at our high school and all classes in Moodle simply start over at the end of each term (10 to 12 weeks).  Given the nature of high school work of typically several assignments a week, tests, projects, perhaps a forum or two, one gets up to 40 or 50 graded entries in this period of time.  Hence filling the course with even more data is not helpful for the student or the teacher.  It is much better to just start over each trimester.
It is relatively easy to restore to a new course without including the assignments each term, so setup is not much of a problem.  And if the grading scheme requires some sort of cumulative total of various terms (ours does not), my guess is that it would be easy enough to average the grades of the course given whatever weight the instructor or institution required for each term.  But, in any case, a full year of assignments at the high school level would have way too much information to be included in a single course, IMHO.