New to moodle and specific question

New to moodle and specific question

by Rhett Michelson -
Number of replies: 3
Hello,

I'm brand new to Moodle, MySQL, PHP, you name it. :P

The good news is that I've got them ALL running on Mac OSX. It looks great.

What I first want to do is to be able to have Moodle help out a NON-online course. Specifically, how can I have a student login and check his/her's grades?

For example, I give an exam and post the grades somehow that they can check with their individual passwords.

I know this is an open-ended question and maybe not appropriate for Moodle at all, but any information you can give me would be much appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rhett Michelson

Re: New to moodle and specific question

by Przemyslaw Stencel -
If you'd like to use Moodle as a gradebook for in-class activities, you can simply use the "offline assignment" for each grade you need. You will then be able to enter the grades for the whole class and when a student logs in, s/he will only be able to see his/her own grades.

Hope this helps smile

PS
But I'd strongly encourage you to explore other uses of Moodle as well. Even if Moodle is only used as a prop for offline classes, there are a lot of options: posting notes for students as resources, running asynchronous discussions, posting announcements which will be forwarded to students' email accounts. In fact, any Moodle activity type could be used in a blended course.
Good luck! big grin
In reply to Przemyslaw Stencel

by Rhett Michelson -
I ALMOST got that far on my own, but it may have been another week! Ha, ha! Thanks a lot. I'll have to play with it to find the best way to do it, but it looks pretty straightforward.

Yes, I've developed a web page, forum and other things for the offline class already and just stumbled across Moodle today, while looking for a way to do this thing. I'll experiment and see how else I could use Moodle for this class.

This is really great. Thanks again.

In reply to Rhett Michelson

by D.I. von Briesen -

FWIW, I've adopted Moodle this semester to replace our institutions's use of BB. I'm beta-testing it for 7 classes, 2 of them 100% online, the rest with regular lectures but with all homework, testing, grades, etc.. online.

Our school has 8000 BB users, and so we still have to figure out how many Moodle could handle, but you couldn't pay me to go back now, even with the problems I've had (which seem to be unique to posts getting confused with IE on the first go-round).

So as my brother used to say, "Go to town!!"

d.i.