Reports

Reports

by nick t -
Number of replies: 16

Does anyone know if there is a better/ Other reports plugin available?

I need to select a course or test and then see what users did access the test without having all the other data displayed.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to nick t

Re: Reports

by Scott Elliott -
Nick, 

I've been working on a type of report page that is in the most recent CVS.  If you have the most recent CVS, check out

http://{your_moodle_webroot}/course/recent.php?id=x

where x is the number of a course in your moodle.

Sorry, but there is no link yet to it, so you'll have to just type in the URL.

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but it may be of some help.
In reply to Scott Elliott

by Gustav W Delius -

Scott, I like your recent.php page very much. I have one suggestion for an improvement that I think would make it even more useful: instead of displaying the activity on a particular day it should display the activity SINCE that day. I have many occasions where I want to see what students did during the last week for example and currently I have to step through the seven days individually.

If you like you could add a second time selector just like the first to select an enddate for the report. That would in particular give the current functionality back of being able to select a particular day in the past but would also allow any other time-period in the past.

I haven't looked at your code but I suspect the required change will be minimal.

In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Peter Sereinigg -

thats my opinion too,

one suggestion: a possibility (checkbox?) only see Persons which are "students", in logs there are a lot of activities of teachers, and that ist a bit difficult.

Thanks Peter

In reply to Peter Sereinigg

by W Page -

I do not have a lot of students listed in my MOODLE test site.  Also I do not act as the student that much.  Therefore, I have not really dealth with what you are referring to.  But, per your description and having looked at the module it would be nice to customize the ability to look at student involvement in certain activities as well a "per" student involment in all activites. 

It would also be helpful if these searches could also be limited to certain times periods (to include hours and minutes and time of day as well.

The ability to easily print this infomation out would also be of some help.

WP1

In reply to W Page

by Scott Elliott -
W,  I think the most recent version in CVS allows you to select a single student and all activities (or a single activity).  It also allows selection of a single activity with all students.

Anyone else with thoughts on hour/minute inclusion?  I personally would only use days.  My only concern on hour/minute is that I want to avoid cluttering up the interaface with features that would rarely or possibly never be used.

By "easily print" I'm guessing you're looking for a different format to send to the printer?  If so, the final version (to be in 1.2) may be closer to what you are looking for, but a separate printer form may not make the next release of moodle (1.3 or 2.0).

by W Page -

Hi Scott!

Thanks for the response.  I will also check out the CVS.

WP1

by Gustav W Delius -
Scott, please keep the interface simple and uncluttered. Don't include options that in practice few of us will use. There will always be suggestions for more and more options from someone mixed. Resist. But do consider my suggestions of course big grin.

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Yes, it shouldn't be complex or start to replicate the logs reports ... it should just do one job well, and that is to show what happened recently so a person can catch up after being away for a while.

by Scott Elliott -
Gustav,  thanks for the evaluation.  There have been some recent changes to allow the display since a  particular day, but nothing about a start and end days for the report.  This sounds like a good feature, anyone out there with an opinion?

by Gustav W Delius -
You are right, report.php does display SINCE a particular day approve. The reason I didn't notice that blush was that the interface looks so much like the log interface and on the log interface it displays ON a particular day. Perhaps the two interfaces should in the end be made consistent with each other.

by Scott Elliott -
I've made some changes to the interface that should make it clearer to understand, althought I have not checked in the changes to CVS.  Look for something in a day or two.

by Peter Sereinigg -

I am using your report very often (very, very helpfull!), i have moodle latest version, installed from cvs, but since 2.2.2004 there are differences from the statistic "log" and "recent.php". log shows informations, which are not in rescent.php...
Peter

by Peter Sereinigg -

The difference:

in log there are all activities, not only writing

in recent.php there are only activitis, with "active output"

is this correct?

Peter

by Scott Elliott -
There should be more in the logs than in this report.  This report will not replace the logs, but give a snapshot into certain activities.  In talking to Martin, I think the following activities will be included:
  1. Forum
  2. Quizzes
  3. Assignments
  4. Chat *
  5. Workshops *
* not started yet
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The main difference is that recent.php is for everyone including students, and its purpose is to highlight what's new and what others are doing on the site.

Logs are far more detailed and are for tracking activity more closely.
In reply to nick t

by Martin Dougiamas -
In the new Moodle 1.2 you can click a log icon on the quiz page and it will give you detailed logs about that quiz and what has been happening in there.

Also the quiz overview report is much improved.