Upgrade to 1.6 beta 5 causes loss of languange menu

Upgrade to 1.6 beta 5 causes loss of languange menu

by Garth Summey -
Number of replies: 2
Hi everyone,

First off it is late, so please forgive any ramblings, misspellings, etc.

I've just upgraded to moodle 1.6 beta from 1.5.2 the site seems to be working fine, but as the subject says I've lost the language menu.  There doesn't seem to be much info on this topic in the forums or found via google.  I did check to be sure that I have the directoryindex variable set in apache (it wasn't set previously, but I set it).  I have the feeling that it is something simple that I'm missing, I don't think something is broken.  I get no errors in my httpd log and as I said before, the rest of the site seems to be working great.  I've imported the one language I need besides en, which is hungarian.  They both appear in the language.... wait, I just double checked the language import utility and there are no languages there!  But then when I install any random language pack, all the packs appear (en, hu, and the random pack).  Is this telling me I have a problem or is this just a quirk?
Anyway as I was saying the language packs *sometimes* appear in the language import utility, the language menu is turned on in site variables, the list of languages is "en,hu" and language menu cache is turned on (I've tried turning this off and I regularly run cron.php to refresh the cache). 
We have two moodle sites running on the same server and both sites have the same problem, this would make me think it is an apache or db problem.
Does anyone have any ideas for me?  Can I give any more info to help with the diagnosis?

Thanks for your time.

Garth
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Garth Summey

Re: Upgrade to 1.6 beta 5 causes loss of languange menu

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
In 1.6 you need to use the new Unicode language packs, which all have _utf8 in the name. Don't mix and match with old ones.

Try deleting the language cache too from dataroot/cache/languages.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Upgrade to 1.6 beta 5 causes loss of languange menu

by Garth Summey -
Hi Martin,

Thanks1000 for the info.  All I needed to do was change the langlist variable to "en_utf8,hu_utf8"  I then ran the cron.php script and bam! there was the language menu!

So, long story short; language menu list needs _utf8 suffix.

Thanks again.

Garth
Average of ratings: Useful (1)