Mult-session Live Courses

Mult-session Live Courses

by Ryan Anderson -
Number of replies: 1
I'm building a Moodle site right now. First time, though I've used Moodle as an instructor in the past. We're using the New Learning theme on version 4.3. Hoping someone can help me solve this problem.

Our organization offers multi-session live classes - in-person and via Zoom. For example, a class might be 8 sessions long with sessions on M/W/F on these dates: March 11, 13, 15, 18, 20, 22, 25, 27. Each class is 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM and is sometimes in-person and sometimes on Zoom. To be clear, this is one course that is 8 sessions long, not 8 different courses.

We also have eLearning (async) courses on the site. People need to be registered on the site to enroll in any course.

What is the best way to handle these live classes? We want to be able to create the course one time and use it as a template and only have to just update the dates, times, and location. The rest of the content stays the same.

I'm picturing something where when they click on the course, they see the 8 sessions listed there and each session has the date of the course and any materials or assignments associated with that session.

I would also like them to be able to download a calendar file that they can add the course to their calendars.

My assumption is this needs a plug-in, but I can't find anything that seems to offer this functionality. Can you good people of Moodle community help me out?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ryan Anderson

Re: Mult-session Live Courses

by Gregor McNish -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
With out of the box moodle you can create a course, use topics for each section and then either in the topic descriptioon or in a resource you can detail location, and provide zoom link, as well as the necessary resources/assignments

Or you could just put the resources under topics called Week 1, Week 2 etc, and at the top use a text/media area to list the schedule — then that’s the only thing that would need updating.

For the calendar you can add the dates to a course calendar, and show students how to get the url to add to their personal calendars, this will then sync moodles course calendar to their own calendars. If you have assignment deadlines those will be added too. If you use the calendar, it too will need to be udpated for each delivery