Is it possible to create a quiz with one random question chosen in every subcategory in one stroke?

Is it possible to create a quiz with one random question chosen in every subcategory in one stroke?

by mario S -
Number of replies: 1
Hi,
to explain what I am asking (and to which I couldn't find an answer) let me assume that my question bank contains the following category and subcategories:

Mammals -
                    |_ Cows
                    |_ Horses
                    |_ Dogs
                    |_ Cats
                    |_ Lions

Now, I want to create a quiz with one random question in every subcategory.

If I choose to add 5 random questions from category "Mammals" and I check the "Allow subcategories" box then, if I am not mistaken, my quiz actually gets 5 random questions but there is no guarantee that they are chosen just one in every subcategory: two, or even more, can very well belong to the same subcategory.

So, it seems to me that the only way to obtain such a quiz is to add manually five random questions, one per every subcategory.
My question is: am I right or am I missing something? I made a little research, but I couldn't find anything relevant.

Closely related: assume I want to create a quiz regarding just felines. Can I instruct Moodle somehow to extract two random questions just from the subcategories "Cats" and "Lions"? (BTW: tags are not an option, so I guess this could really be not possible).

Many thanks
Average of ratings: -
In reply to mario S

Re: Is it possible to create a quiz with one random question chosen in every subcategory in one stroke?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

There may be different ways to accomplish your desire.  You seem to be on target.  Here is what I would do.

In Moodle's question bank, I would create a sub-category (maybe below your course or some other category, depending on how you are organizing your question bank) called Mammals.  Then, I would create five more sub-categories for the types of animals.  Then, put the appropriate questions into each animal-type sub-category (like 10 questions).

Then, on the quiz side of things, add the first question to the quiz, randomly picking one question from the Cows sub-category.  Then, add a second randomly selected question from the Horses category, and so forth.  Then I would randomly jumble all questions on the quiz.

The answer to your second question is yes.  Just use those two sub-categories.

Incidentally, you can't do this with other major LMSs, only Moodle.  Also, make sure to practice.