"How can computer-marked quizzes help students learn?" Tim Hunt, 15 Novemeber 2023

"How can computer-marked quizzes help students learn?" Tim Hunt, 15 Novemeber 2023

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
How can computer-marked quizzes help students learn?

A presentation by Tim Hunt as part of our series of workshop on "All about conducting on-line tests with Moodle" [1], 15 November 2023 (21 min)

Abstract

1. As teachers, we cannot do the student's learning for them. All we can do is to provide scaffolding and feedback to help them. Online quizzes let you do both.

2. I want to talk about the two fundamentally different types of online questions: Selected response questions - like multiple choice - the student need only recognise the right answer in the possibilities given. Constructed response questions - like short-answer or formulas - the student must work out the answer without hints, but are harder to mark. 

3. Different ways to use questions, like exams or practice. I think you covered this in a previous session, but I want to say it again. In this section, I will probably demonstrate our embedded question plugins. I will probably also highlight interactive with multiple tries behaviour.

4. Finally, I will talk a bit about academic integrity - which will start to move in the direction of what you will cover.

Note that the above home for the video is temporary. Once the work finds a permanent home for the talk, we'll publish the new link here. Irrespective of that you are allowed, and encouraged, to download it and use it respecting the open license below.

CC BY Attribute to Tim Hunt and EduNET@LEARN

[1] https://edunet.learn.ac.lk/course/view.php?id=19

(Edited by Mary Cooch - original submission Friday, 22 December 2023, 1:20 AM)

Average of ratings: Useful (9)