Language selector missing in Moodle app

Language selector missing in Moodle app

by Bjørn Teistung -
Number of replies: 4
This is might not right place to ask, so forgive me if neccessary. I am testing out multi-language content in Moodle app at the moment. We use the free version.
To show multi-language content, we use the "Multi language content V2."

In browser-view users find the language selector  in the drop down-meny next to the user picture:

Language selector

This language selector is not showing anywhere in the Moodle app, so content in multi-lang blocks do not show up. Changing language in the app settings do not help, as this is controlled by the language selector. Is this a missing functionality in the Moodle app, or are there other reasons that can cause this issue?

All repsonse is heartly welcome!

Cheers,
Bjørn
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bjørn Teistung

Re: Language selector missing in Moodle app

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Moderator note: Hi Bjørn, I'm just moving your post to the Moodle for mobile forum where the Moodle app experts hang out who can hopefully answer your question.

In reply to Bjørn Teistung

Re: Language selector missing in Moodle app

by Dani Palou -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Bjørn,

let me explain how the multi-lang works in the app (the one in Moodle core, I guess the V2 will be the same but this is a 3rd party plugin so I might be wrong).

Most of the content retrieved by the app is filtered at server side, before the app receives the content. That means the app will only receive the text in the "final" language, not all the languages. By default this filtering will use the language selected by the user in LMS (the selector you sent), but the Moodle app sends Moodle a parameter to indicate which language to use instead of the one selected by the user. The language sent by the app is the one selected in App settings.

Please notice that the Moodle app has a cache system to decrease the network usage. The Moodle app stores most of the content received from LMS and it won't request it again in a while. This means that the following can happen:

• A user has the app configured in English.
  • The user opens a course in the app and sees a certain multi-lang content in English.
  • The user goes to App settings and changes the language to German.
  • The user opens the same content again. The app displays the content already stored in the app, so the multi-lang is still displayed in English. If the user performs a "Pull to refresh", the app will re-fetch the data from the server and now the content should be in German.

Can you please check if this is your case and it works fine after performing a Pull to refresh? 

If it still doesn't work, can you please tell me your Moodle version and where do you have those multi-lang texts? E.g. a section description, a book, etc.

Cheers,

Dani

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Dani Palou

Svar: Re: Language selector missing in Moodle app

by Bjørn Teistung -
Hello, Dani!
Thank you for a clear and concise explanation of my issue. By changing the language in the Moodle app, I can now display bilingual content as desired.
Great - thanks to Helen as well, for moving the post over to this forum smile

Cheers, Bjørn