Can't update profile photo

Can't update profile photo

by Dale Jones -
Number of replies: 3
I've been trying for hours, I've looked at (nearly) every topic on the subject but still can't get my profile photo updated. I get this error message:

I've tried changing permissions on moodledata/users/1 ; I tried creating the folder "original" (didn't exist before); I've checked that GD exists (it does); I've even looked at changing the f1.jpg file to another.  Niothing seems to work but I'm sure there's a simpe reason, possibly that in the past I might have disabledthe photo update function to protect our under-16 schoolchildren.  Help please, anybody?
Dale
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dale Jones

Re: Can't update profile photo

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
We can't see that picture as it's on your own hard disk.  Why not just cut and paste the text of the message?
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Dale Jones -
Duhhhh.  Sorry about that.  Does that mean I don't get a gold star? ;)
 I didn't get to copy/paste as the page "continues" too quickly; all I have time to do is a screen dump.
Here's the text string:
Warning: move_uploaded_file(/home/marywebb/public_html/moodledata/users/1/original): failed to open stream: Permission in /home/marywebb/public_html/moodle/user/lib.php on line 78

Warning: move_uploaded_file (): Unable to move '/tmp/phpF!Cpl3' to '/home/marywebb/public_html/moodledata/users/1/original' in /home/marywebb/public_html/moodle/user/lib.php on line 78

Changes saved
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TIA
Dale

In reply to Dale Jones

by Dale Jones -
Sorted it.  Here's what I think happened:
 It seems that the hosting company had changed permissions on the folder moodledata/users/1 some time ago (they've had some major crashes recently, bless 'em) and they weren't changed back.  I had created the directory  original trying to solve the problems I had, and then the photo update was looking for a file, finding this directory and giving the error as described.  I deleted directory original, changed the perms on moodledata/users/1 to 777 and hey presto, things worked.

One point - I'm getting this error message after the update now

Warning: chmod(): Operation not permitted in /home/marywebb/public_html/moodle/user/lib.php on line 164

Warning: chmod(): Operation not permitted in /home/marywebb/public_html/moodle/user/lib.php on line 165

Should I panic?

TIA
Dale Jones