Adding template to existing course

Adding template to existing course

by Mark Miller -
Number of replies: 11
I'm prepping for a new trimester.  With the change to 4.1 I created a new template for our courses.

Is there a way that I can integrate old courses into the new template settings?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Miller

Re: Adding template to existing course

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
There's no such thing (that I can think of) called a "template" in Moodle. Can you explain in a bit more detail what you mean?
In reply to Howard Miller

by Mark Miller -
Templates -- as I'm using the term -- are created in a similar way as a course. You have the settings, activities, etc. You can setup up things like a test in week five so that all courses based on the template will have a week five text without having to manually load the test in each course. Once you have the template complete, you can use the "add course from template" option under site administration >> courses. In my case, I'm trying to apply the template to legacy courses rather than create he course by adding content to the template.
In reply to Mark Miller

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I'm still not sure. Do you just mean a course like any other course but you're using it for a particular purpose?
In reply to Howard Miller

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Just for clarification, I think Mark is referring to Course templates (as in the link)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Howard Miller -
That's what I assumed but I wanted to be clear. There's always some plugin that I've never heard of.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mark Miller -
To Mary and all who responded, thanks for your help. I finally figured out how to include a legacy course with a course template. I found the function I needed under "course reuse."
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Mark Miller

by Visvanath Ratnaweera -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators
Do you mean https://moodle.org/plugins/local_course_templates ? That would be an additional plug-in, not in the core. Each such plug-in has a simple forum at the bottom its intro page.
In reply to Visvanath Ratnaweera

by Mark Miller -
The plugin you're referencing does not, unfortunately, work on my site. It's managed by third party -- they didn't give me any details -- just told me it wouldn't work. I need to use the core template function.
In reply to Mark Miller

by Mark Sharp -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
What you're describing doesn't sound like a core Moodle feature, so I'd imagine it's provided by your support company.

What Moodle does have, that is probably being used by the "template" feature you're describing, is Import course. This can import material from another course (a previous version or a template) and merge it into the course you want to edit. If your existing course already has material you will probably need to unpick duplicates manually.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mark Miller

by Harry Kalantzis -
Hi Mark,

I assume that by template you mean standardised sections, placeholders activities, specific course settings etc.

We did this this summer with the upgrade to 4.1.

We introduced a new template, but there is no way to automatically apply it to old courses. Basically, you would need an empty course with the template applied - in our case I called that a skeleton course which has a certain number of sections, some placeholders for activities (e.g. it comes with a discussion forum and some Moodle labels which are placed in specific sections) and some course settings.

You would need to import that 'skeleton' course in all courses one by one, then re-order the activities in the old courses to fit with the template.

This was big (1000 courses!) and tedious job, which is why we paid a third-party to do it.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes
Harry
Average of ratings: Useful (3)