Enroll Users into categories

Enroll Users into categories

by Nitesh Duhan -
Number of replies: 5
Can someone suggest step by step process of enrolling students into categories? I am not able to understand it from documentation.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nitesh Duhan

Re: Enroll Users into categories

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
If you can say which part of the documentation Category enrolments you don't understand, perhaps we can help you.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Nitesh Duhan -
Thanks Mary Cooch

With these steps, I am successfully able to add students into categories. Now, when I student login , he sees only a list of courses in that category. I want to show the "category tree" on the home page of the student. How Can I achieve this?
In reply to Nitesh Duhan

by Nitesh Duhan -
@mary Cooch

I also looked at your following post from 2016. But could not achieve it.

Is it true that tree of category will be visible to students only in "Classic" theme and not "Boost" theme ?

The dashboard shows courses a student is already enrolled in, which is why it shows just the courses but you can make it display the categories of those courses by selecting the option in the Course overview block

You can also get the My courses link in the Navigation block to show categories by choosing Show course categories from Site admin>Appearance>Navigation.

Another option would be to add the Courses block to the centre of the dashboard for all users. Until they are enrolled into at least one course they will see the course categories ( but that won't work so well once they are enrolled in a course.)
In reply to Nitesh Duhan

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Not sure what you mean by "category tree" but perhaps from Site administration > Site home > Site home settings, you could enable List of categories from Site home items when logged in and/or Site home
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Nitesh Duhan -
On the site home page (after logging in), I want to show the list of categories along with courses. But I want to show only those categories, in which the student is enrolled. I am successfully able to show list of courses in which student is enrolled, but when I try to show categories I am facing problem.
It allows me to show " all " categories including those where the student is not enrolled.

But my interest is only in showing categories, where student is enrolled.. not all categories..

I saw that this was a bug some time back. The link is given below
https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=431270

Can someone please confirm if this is fixed? How can we achieve this?