Extra Credit in Natural Aggregation

Extra Credit in Natural Aggregation

by Andrew Dunn -
Number of replies: 2
I am demonstrating gradebook setup to a group of faculty tomorrow and am trying to figure out how to add extra credit items to a gradebook that uses Natural weighting.
For my demo course I have the following categories in the gradebook:
  • Quizzes (30%) consists of 3 x Moodle Quizzes each worth max 10 marks
  • Assignments (40%) consists of 2 x Assignments each worth max 100 marks
  • Final exam (30%) consists of 1 x Moodle quiz worth max 30 marks
  • Total MARKS available for the course = 260
I want graders to be able to award up to 5% as bonus marks on top of the overall course grade.
I thought I could create a manual grade item worth up to 13 marks (5% of 260) and mark it as extra credit, but when I test this by enrolling and grading a dummy user, the bonus marks are ignored. I think this is because the 3 categories have their weightings overridden, and the bonus grade isn't in one of these categories.

I'm attaching a screenshot of my gradebook setup. Help?!

Attachment bonus marks in gradebook.JPG
In reply to Andrew Dunn

Re: Extra Credit in Natural Aggregation

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Because a grade book can be very complex, it is hard to provide an accurate answer.

That being said, in one of my courses, the "course" itself is set to natural, yet my categories are using "Weighted mean of grades." I have a category named "Bonus Activities", also set to Simple weighted mean of grades. For this category, I have its settings as shown below. The result is that the bonus is added on top of the regular course grade, which is exactly what I want.

In your case, you are using only one grade item, not a category, so it is hard for me to know how you have set this up.
Attachment Bonus Category.jpg
In reply to Andrew Dunn

Re: Extra Credit in Natural Aggregation

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Because a grade book can be very complex, it is hard to provide an accurate answer.

That being said, in one of my courses, the "course" itself is set to natural, yet my categories are using "Weighted mean of grades." I have a category named "Bonus Activities", also set to Simple weighted mean of grades. For this category, I have its settings as shown below. The bonus is added on top of the regular course grade, which is precisely what I want.  By using a category as extra credit, I do not set the individual items in this category to "bonus." 

In your case, you are using only one grade item, not a category, so it is hard for me to know how you have set this up.

So, continue experimenting.  Perhaps post a screenshot of what that bonus item settings are.

Attachment Bonus Category.jpg