Student View and Teacher View Different?

Student View and Teacher View Different?

by Michael Knichel -
Number of replies: 5
I have a course and there is some strange behavior.  A student contacted me to ask what his grade was on a skills lab.  I was surprised because I expected him to see it on his grades view.  Why would the student view not see all 3 exams AND why is (Dropped) listed for CISS121 Final Exam when I do not have a dropped score in this category? 

The student view of Gradebook:
Student view of category
The Teacher view of User report for same user:
Teacher View of same Grade Category
In reply to Michael Knichel

Re: Student View and Teacher View Different?

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
Not totally sure.

It appears that you have those other two exams "hidden." Teacher sees hidden items, but student does not. See if you can unhide those other exams.

You also might have a setting to drop the lowest exam.
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Michael Knichel -
I appreciate the response. These items are not hidden, they are however, restricted... Why would the grade not be visible to the students in Gradebook?
Grades-CourseView

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Because you must have it set to not show hidden items in the gradebook (restricted and hidden act in the same way.)
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Michael Knichel -
Thanks for the info.  That is not good.  Hidden might be because I didn't use that item (quiz/assignment...) this semester so I don't want to confuse them by showing it.  Whereas restricted is to prevent access to the item except when it should be available.  In the second case, I want them to see their grade without being able to access the assignment.

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers

When something is tagged as "hidden," it is hidden.

I am not sure what you mean by "prevent access."  If a quiz is past its due date, students cannot retake the quiz.  However, they will see it in the course, which I think they should.  If they were only to see a grade in the grade book, it might cause them to wonder, "Where did this grade come from?" if they could not see it in the course.