[3.11] Looking for roles that are not showing up in participants list

[3.11] Looking for roles that are not showing up in participants list

by Richard van Iwaarden -
Number of replies: 10
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
Hi!

We want to give a big group of users (cohort X) access to courses but not make them show up in the participants list.

I can't find a way to do this, am I overlooking something?

What I tried and did not work:
  • I tried to add guest access to a course, but this makes it so that everyone in the system has access. We only want Cohort X to have access.
  • I tried to enroll the cohort with the guest role, but that makes them show up in the participantslist
  • I created a new role in the system. I made this role invisible for everyone except admins. I gave cohort X this role in the courses. It also makes them visible in the participants list, only the role within the course is not visible.
  • There's an option in Moodle that let's you enroll 'other users', but this only seems to work on individual enrollments. Not possible for cohorts.

Extra info: The cohort X contains 750 users. The number of courses they will get access to (as a guest) will be around 10.000.

We have the ability to add a cohort in a specific role to a course using webservices.

I hope someone has a smart idea!

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Richard van Iwaarden

Re: [3.11] Looking for roles that are not showing up in participants list

by Gemma Lesterhuis -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Richard,

Never had this request before but from my point of view: cohort just groups people on site level, it does not say anything about the role they are in.

But 2 things that pop-ups in my mind:
1. have you tried if assigning the cohort to category of the courses?
or
2. Have you thought of creating a role with assignment on category context level, and assign (i believe core_rol_assign_roles should help you with this) the users to this role. 1 role I can think of does not show on a participant list is the 'manager' role. (or is that what you mean with "other users' only for indiviual enrollments.

Gemma
In reply to Gemma Lesterhuis

Hi Gemma!

1. You can not assign a cohort to a category, so I assign it on course level
2. As I understood it, Moodle discourages to assign roles at a category level for performance issues. The manager role could be an option as a new role with archetype manager, then remove all permissions. Could work, need to test it.

'Other roles' you will find as an extra enrolment method not on the enrolment method page. See https://docs.moodle.org/311/en/Other_users

Unfortunately, this option can not be used together with cohorts.

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Re the category level role, it does say "may" cause performance problems in the docs, but I remember discussing it with people who use category enrolment regularly and don't have problems - just wondering if it might be worth trying after all?
In reply to Mary Cooch

@Mary,

If I enroll at a category level, how do you keep the 750 employees all enrolled? There's people going and coming constantly. We have a cohort for this that is dynamically kept actual and correct. 

But... you can not add a cohort to a category?

by Gemma Lesterhuis -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Richard

1. I ment the option to create a cohort on category level, but that still won't fix your premissions.
2. Reason I suggested it was this discussion (https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=377150) , and in the back of my mind I recall this discussion on preformance but that had to do as Mary says with the category enrolment plugin itself, and with this suggestion you are not actually enrolling them to the course, just granting them access to the content etc in the course. In a same way you would have this in the role Manager (not site-admin).

Gemma

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Richard,

How about creating a custom role and allow the capability View courses without participation (moodle/course:view).

As Gemma mentions, the manager role doesn't show in the participants list. This is because they have this capability.

In reply to Helen Foster

@Helen,
How do you keep the population up to date? We have a cohort for this, but I still can't see how to keep everything updated if a cohort can not be enrolled in a category.

I could give all employees this custom role site wide, but still I run into the problem on how to keep the population updated. With cohorts we have this fixed, but I don't think a cohort can be used to set a side wide role?

by Gemma Lesterhuis -
Hi Richard

I was going through the plugin database, maybe this plugin would work for you: https://moodle.org/plugins/local_cohortrole

I think assigning the cohort to a category should work in a way you give them premissions with a siterole to enter the course. But I have not tried it out. So not sure. 

Hi Gemma,

Thanks! I did not know that plugin. But I can't find the way to assign the cohort to a category. What it does is assign a site-wide role, which solves a bit of the problem. Alle staff can enter all courses. But... there are some courses that should not be available for staff (i.e. exam commission courses where they sometimes debate about students' work)

So I need to narrow it down a bit. All staff should have access to all courses in two categories.

I know I can create a cohort at category level, but that doesn't assign a role at category level. Maybe I'm missing something here and we could talk about it thursday smile

Thanks!