Assign role on category to a cohort

Assign role on category to a cohort

by Mark Sharp -
Number of replies: 4
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

On our site, each course category represents a department. In each category I have a "Staff" Cohort. I would like to enable everyone in the Staff Cohort to view all the courses in that category (as an observer, not a lecturer or student), without those courses all appearing in their course list. Just access to view the content.

Is there a way to assign a role to a cohort at the category level, or is there a plugin (I've looked but not found one yet) that does that?

many thanks

Mark

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mark Sharp

Re: Assign role on category to a cohort

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

To get around this sort of issue, I have always created a specific Staff Role, which gives them specific rights in specific places, but not sure this will help you achieve exactly what you want. Individuals can be assigned Roles at the Category Level, but Cohorts are not. This is simply because if you have a large Cohort accessing editing capabilities at the Category level you have opened a rather large security hole in your Moodle, that's the logic behind the restriction, but not your intent. 

You could try assigning a role at the Category level that allows Staff to look at the courses. Create a new Role, base it on the Guest Role, if you like, and allow that Role to be assigned at the Category level. All you need do then is to test it, with a dummy user and work out what permissions and capabilities you really want the Role to have. Or you could use the Non-editing Teacher Role as the template and restrict Capabilities until you are happy it can only do what you want to to do. That's the best answer I got, unless someone has a way of doing what you want. 

In reply to Colin Fraser

Re: Assign role on category to a cohort

by Mark Sharp -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks for the reply Colin. We definitely don't want them to have editing rights, so yes we'd create a new role. The cohort is managed through a task I have created, with the idea that we could reuse the cohort easily. I might have to manage the role assignment through this process too.

In reply to Colin Fraser

Ang: Re: Assign role on category to a cohort

by Flemming Bornemann -

Hi 

I have this need too. To be able to assign a manger role for a category to a cohort.

I have my team members automatically assigned to cohorts based on fields in their user profiles. But I can't figure out how to give these cohort a manger role at category level.

Could you provide a step by step guide?

Thanks in advance smile

Flemming

In reply to Flemming Bornemann

Re: Ang: Re: Assign role on category to a cohort

by Rainer Schaufelberger -
Hi
Yes, it would be nice to give a cohort a specific role on the category level.
Rainer