Grade Aggregation Difficulties

Grade Aggregation Difficulties

by Peter Davis -
Number of replies: 3

So I have a gradebook set up where I want to accomplish the following things:

1. Manually set the weight for each category. (Example: I want to set two categories that each have 50 weight, adding up to the courses total of 100)
  2. Have the gradebook automatically calculate the sum off all of the grades of the assignments in a category and apply that percentage to the category weight. (Example: there are five grades in a category. A student gets 100% on 4 of them but gets a 50% on the last one. I want it to automatically calculate that in the gradebook that student has a 45 out of 50 for that category)
  3. I want the course total's total percentage to be calculated off of the categories total percentages. (Example: First category the student gets 80 percent, the second category he gets 90 percent. I want it to calculate the course total to be 85%)
  4. I want it to ignore any categories that don't have any grades. (Example: Category one has a weight of 50, category two has a weight of 30, and category three has a weight of 20. The student has a 100% in the first two categories, but the final category is for the Final Exam, so it doesn't have a grade in it yet, but I want the course total to 100% not 80%)

I have attempted to achieve this in many ways, but have run into issues,

I tried "natural" grading aggregation for the course (with "mean of grades with extra credit" for the category grading aggregation), which is what I think it should be, and it works for the categories, but then it doesn't properly account for the empty grade categories when figuring out the course total. It is the example in number 4 that is giving the course total of 80%. In courses without empty categories it works fine.

I have tried a bunch of the "mean of grades" "mean of grades with extra credit" "Weighted Mean of Grades" for the course grading aggregation while using "mean of grades with extra credit" and "mean of grades" for the category grade aggregation but for some reason on three of my courses it doesn't calculate the course total correctly. The total percentage is a few percent off. On one class the category total is also off. In that specific class both the category and the course have a higher percentage then the max that is allow. (Example: 100.5 out of 100.) The category is also more than is allowed, and it is set to "mean of grades" grading aggregation. The other two the course total is off by a few percent. Up or down, for some reason.

In every situation I have the "exclude empty grades" box checked.

So my questions are: What grade aggregation should I be using? What am I doing wrong that is causing these issues? Why are a few courses seemingly randomly off by a few percent?

Thanks for any help.

I've looked up whatever info I could find, but I had trouble finding things on Moodle 4, and had some trouble finding help in general.

In reply to Peter Davis

Re: Grade Aggregation Difficulties

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

You should just use Natural grading - it is really all you need.  If you still have the issue with the empty category, just hide it and then exclude hidden activities should fix that.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Peter Davis -
I set the course to natural, and then I hid the category and excluded the category from being used for all of the students, but the final grade was still messed up. It was still being affected by the empty categories as stated in number 4 above.
In reply to Emma Richardson

by Peter Davis -
So what I am using that works is this:
For the course grade aggregation I used "weighted mean of grades."
For the category grade aggregation I used "mean of grades with extra credit."
This is working on all levels and fulfilling what I need.

On a side note, whenever I said grade aggression, I meant grade aggregation. Don't worry, we are not aggressive graders. smile If anything we err on the side of grace.