Students cannot see the assigned peer’s submission

Students cannot see the assigned peer’s submission

by Joyce Kong -
Number of replies: 13

I used the Moodle Workshop for peer assessment. 

In the assessment phase, a lot of students could not see the submission of the assigned peer. 

The page just showed the assess peer: 1, and pending: 1, but that’s it. The assigned peer’s submission was not even there showing on the page for reviewing at all, which is supposed to be showing at the bottom of the page. (Please see the attached picture - the screenshot from one of the students)

But it worked for a few students that they can see the peer’s submission and assess it. I wonder why…

Attachment 52BA5CB9-0129-46E4-A322-24C2A72CD236.jpeg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Joyce Kong

Re: Students cannot see the assigned peer’s submission

by Joyce Kong -
From the screenshot you can see that those students cannot even see the “Assessment Instruction”. It seems that some items “disappeared”.

Will someone be able to tell what happened? Thanks!
In reply to Joyce Kong

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

This is controlled by two things. (1) The students must be enrolled and (2) they must have the relevant capabilities assigned. By default, the Student role gives users both - the capability to submit and the capability to peer-asses. Let me suggest to use the in-built permissions check tools in the context of the given workshop to see if the students have the required permissions.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to David Mudrák

by Joyce Kong -
Thanks David!

But some of the students can see the assigned peer’s submission.

So I doubt permission is the reason of this because students are seeing different things and the permission grant on Moodle applies to the role but not individual user as far as I know.

I confirm that all the students are enrolled to the course and assigned “student” role, and also checked that students are grant permission to submit and peer-assess.

Is there any possible reason of this situation?
In reply to David Mudrák

by Joyce Kong -
Just now I assigned those students who can walk through the whole assessment process successfully to be the reviewers of those who could not be reviewed, and it works. Likewise, I assigned those students who fail to see other student's submission to be the reviewers of those who were successfully reviewed, and no submission is available for review.

So it seems that the issue happened on the individual students but not because of the setting of the Moodle Workshop. Would you suggest any possible causes? Would it be some sort of user individual setting contributing to this issue?
In reply to Joyce Kong

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

That's really weird and unexpected. Are you able to turn the developer debugging on and let it display on screen?

In reply to David Mudrák

by Joyce Kong -
Thanks David!

I would like to clarify if admin role is needed to turn the debugging mode on? If yes, I do not think I have such permission.

However, I managed to enable the debug mode using mobile app (refer to the picture 1). May I ask, what's next?

When I access the Workshop using mobile app, which I did not try before, I found that it works and I can see the submissions and instructions (refer to the picture 2). But it still does not work on web interface.
Attachment Picture 1 (Moodle App - Debug Enable).png
Attachment Picture 2 (Moodle App - Can See the Submission and Instruction).png
In reply to David Mudrák

by Joyce Kong -

Yesterday when I tried the Moodle Workshop using the student role, a weird situation happened that the three items "Your submission", "Instructions for assessment", and "Assigned submissions to access" which are available at the beginning disappeared when I clicked on the collapse/expand button of the items, and there is no way to get them back.

I have tried in different scenarios but still in vain.
- Different Browser: Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Safari
- Different OS: Windows 10, iOS

I sought help from someone who know a bit of programming and he suggested that there may be a bug (please see the picture)

Hope the information helps Moodle to figure out what's wrong. Please kindly fix the issue. Around 70% of my students are suffering from this issue and which means they cannot meet the mandatory requirement of the training...Thanks! 

Attachment Items Disappeared.jpg
Attachment Moodle_bug_1.png
In reply to Joyce Kong

by David Mudrák -

Thanks! That's a really good debugging there!

I just tried to reproduce the described problem on my test 3.11 installation. It all works as expected to me:

Collapsible sections at the main Workshop page

That and also the fact we haven't heard from others about the apparent issue like this, makes me believe it must a local problem with your installation. Your custom theme might be the reason. One other place that also makes use of the print_collapsible_region_start() function is the search interface in the question bank. Can you please got into the course Question bank and see if the following "Search option" section works OK for you?

Question bank UI

In reply to David Mudrák

by Joyce Kong -

When I click the "Search option", it disappeared (Please see the attached picture)

But after I sign out and wait for a while, it shows up again.

Attachment Item Disappeared.jpg
In reply to Joyce Kong

by David Mudrák -

Right. So it is not a Workshop specific bug and it makes me believe it is caused by a customisation (such as the theme or some other plugin) on your side. Are you able to contact people who made the theme for you?

In reply to David Mudrák

by Joyce Kong -
Thanks for walking me through step by step to figure out what's wrong!

I am communicating with the corresponding staff/team and hope they know how to fix it. Is there any possible customization issue you have in mind that I can direct to the corresponding staff?
In reply to Joyce Kong

by David Mudrák -

I am afraid I can't provide more useful info to this. I am sure that with these steps to reproduce, they should be able to fix this soon. Good luck!

In reply to David Mudrák

by Joyce Kong -
Never mind. Thanks for your help🙇🏻‍♀️