Bugs & Glitches in Label's List Function

Bugs & Glitches in Label's List Function

by Andrew Uyeno -
Number of replies: 10
I imagine I'll be using lists a lot in Moodle... so I've been fairly annoyed by the bugs in the list functions in the Label resource. I've noticed three recurring bugs so far.
  1. The bullets differ between the editor and the actual course page. [Pictures below.]
  2. Weird insertion of double bullets and line breaks when I copy-paste. [Pictures below.] This then leads to all kinds of weirdness when I try to delete things, move them around, change the level of indent, etc. [I did not document this.]
Can someone tell me if these are known bugs and, if not, how I can file a real bug report?

Thanks!

Bug 1: Bullets in editor do not match bullets in course display.

Bug 2: Copy/Pasting inserts unwanted line breaks and double bullets.

This mistake does not only show up in the editor; it appears to students as well. It is also followed by all kinds of other glitches.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Andrew Uyeno

Re: Bugs & Glitches in Label's List Function

by Rick Jerz -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers
I noticed the same thing a while ago. See MDL-73519, and vote for it. Also add some of your thoughts from above.
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Rick Jerz

by Andrew Uyeno -
I have been using lists more recently within the label function and the bugginess has been tragicomical and persistent. There are also line and paragraph spacing bugs. And hyperlinking bugs.

It's like someone put me in a time machine and forced me to use the crappiest Microsoft products from 2010 again. It's so bad that I literally suspect that Moodle developers are sabotaging the label and/or list features as an excuse to delete it.

I'm definitely willing to start using Moodle Tracker to vote and discuss bugs.... I'll even do a screen capture to show just how hilariously/eye-rollingly awful it actually is... As long as my involvement on Moodle Tracker actually leads to the bug being fixed.

Will it?

Also, let's say I never use the "Label" feature again, which I may be basically forced to do. What is the simplest way to post content?
In reply to Andrew Uyeno

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello Andrew,

Information on Internet is conveyed using HTML (Hypertext Markup Language). You can not change that.

To help you format text in HTML, editors exist such Atto, TinyMCE, etc. These are NOT full-fledged fancy word processors such as Microsoft Word. They are lightweight editors adequate most of the time.

When you copy/paste list elements, the HTML markup tags sometimes get messed up. The Atto editor is not powerful enough to always sort the lists correctly. It is then easier to do it yourself.

In the Auto editor, click on the </> HTML button which reveals the interpreted HTML code, and edit the code directly. The HTML language is quite simple. Each list elements is enclosed in a <li> opening tag and a </li> closing tag. All elements of a list are enclosed in <ul></ul> tags for unordered lists, i.e. with bullets, or <ol></ol> tags for ordered lists, i.e. with numbered elements.

The best thing you can do is to learn a bit of HTML, for example on W3schools.

Raising issues on the Tracker will lead you nowhere, and so will getting annoyed.
In reply to Dominique Bauer

by Andrew Uyeno -
Is there any way I can encourage Moodle to debug its editors? I ended up seeing the same bug as here in other editors PLUS a bunch of really bad formatting (header 1, header 2, etc.) bugs.

One of the reasons I'm using Moodle instead of putting everything on my own website is that I do not want to deal with WYSIWYG as much as possible and markup / coding as little as possible. Is Moodle perhaps not really made for WYSIWYG even in simple cases like my own?
In reply to Andrew Uyeno

by Dominique Bauer -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
Hello Andrew,

Marklar ↗ is a WYSISWYG editor. It should suit your needs.

by Andrew Uyeno -
Thanks, but I'd rather not type in Markdown... and neither will my employees. We just want a WYSIWYG editor that is, say, half as good as the one I'm using for this forum now. Moodle's defaults do not appear up to the task. Are there any WYSIWYG plugins I could use?
In reply to Andrew Uyeno

by Dominique Bauer -

Hello Andrew,

Moodle is currently implementing a new version of the TinyMCE editor which will soon become Moodle's default editor. According to the people currently working on it, this editor will be better than the Atto editor. A first version of the new TinyMCE editor is already available with Moodle version 4.1.

For more information, see:

https://docs.moodle.org/401/en/TinyMCE_editor ↗
https://www.tiny.cloud/ ↗
https://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=439246 ↗

by Andrew Uyeno -
Ok, I will get my Moodle updated ASAP and try this out. Thanks for the promising news!
In reply to Andrew Uyeno

by Andrew Uyeno -
My Moodle is updated at last and I tried the new editor for just a few minutes.

So far, it is vastly better than the previous editor. I'm very happy Moodle has made these improvements!

I'll try the editor out more tomorrow and will report back here with, I hope, good news.  🤞  
Average of ratings: Useful (1)